A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

How to: Dual-boot Windows Vista and Linux

Re: Multiple Harddrives

Postby l33t » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:38 pm

jordanrw wrote:Sorry kind of new to the whole dual boot here.

I have 2 SATA drives, one is currently running vista, i want to put Fedora Core 6 on the other. How would the above procedure change?

Thank you for the help.

it wouldnt change.

install vista.
install FC6. grub (thats the bootloader FC6 uses, right?) should automatically detect this change. if it dosent, the use my post above (or ask back inn ill post some manual grub instructions.
PRO Level 14

Postby jordanrw » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:28 am

so i tried to install fedora core 6 and hit a hiccup before i could even really get started. When it asks me where i want to install the operating system, no matter what combination of options i choose it says that i have no space for /boot. I ran fdisk on sda and sdb, sda has 3 partitions, im assuming all made by vista since i have created so such thing, one of which has a star in the boot column(i printed the info via fdisk), sdb has 1 single partition. Therefore i made the assumption that sda was the disk that i had installed vista on. The weird thing is that under the system column for all partitions of sda and sdb is says SFS. Anyways, it wont let me proceed because it says i have no space. Both drives are NTFS formtatted shown in windows.
PRO Level 2

Postby kd1966 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:03 pm

I don't have Fedora experience, but SUSE 10.x will install on XP/Vista systems. Possibly Fedora is not recognizing the Vista NTFS...........?
PRO PLATINUM

Postby jordanrw » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:01 pm

So am i making the correct assumption though that my vista install is on sda and i want to install linux on sdb?
PRO Level 2

Postby kd1966 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:09 pm

You should verify that before selecting where to install so as not to overwrite an existing OS
PRO PLATINUM

Postby jordanrw » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:55 pm

I tried installing openSUSE 10.2, still the same problem here is what i see (im doing this by memory so i will exclude some things

Code: Select all
fdisk /dev/sda

Partition Boot .... Id System
sda1                42    SFS
sda2        *       42    SFS
sda3                42    SFS

fdisk /dev/sdb

Partition Boot .... Id System
sdb1                42  SFS

Both drives are NTFS done via vista. Neither Fedora Core 6 or openSUSE 10.2 will let me deal with the drives at all. Meaning i cant go any further.
Any ideas. Also, does this mean that sda is my vista drive? How else could i find out.

Thanks.

Jordan
PRO Level 2

Postby kd1966 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:15 pm

If you can get into Vista, and azzuming that is your only other OS, what does Disk Mgmt say about your drives? I see you have 2 physical SATA HDD's, but is showing 3 drives, so I'm guessing here that at least one of your drives has more than one partition....??
PRO PLATINUM

Postby kd1966 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:19 pm

When I did the SUSE 10.x on my system, I used Acronis to create the EXT-3 or whatever that format is for linux to set the drive up for SUSE. If all you have is Vista created NTFS, you may need to use a bootable CD with a utility to set up one of the drives with whatever linux disk format you want (BUT DO NOT MESS/ADJUST THE SIZE OF THE VISTA PARTITION!!!)
PRO PLATINUM

Postby jordanrw » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:56 pm

No i have no partitions that i have made on my vista drive. Two of those partitions are extremely small (as in almost non existent). I was just assuming those were read wrong by linux. I basically want the second harddrive to boot linux. I cant get it to install on it.

Where can i get Acronis?
PRO Level 2

Postby kd1966 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:40 am

Acronis/Partition Magic......... any 3rd party partitioning utility actually will do. And yes, it is entirely possible your HDD's are being misread by Fedora; what is your SATA controller?
PRO PLATINUM

PreviousNext

Return to Guides