A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

How To: Clean Install an Upgrade Edition of Vista

Postby Lancew70 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:36 pm

Anyone know if this method still works as originally noted in this post?

My neighbor says he tried it today and it did not work with his Vista Business Upgrade disk.

He insists he followed the procedure correctly but, I'm guessing that he might have missed something.

I have a full version of Vista- Ultimate and therefore no reason to try. :)

Just curious.... thanks for any comments :)
PRO Level 3

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:13 am

Suggest he try it without entering any product key at all on first setup ;)

Failing that, he can always "upgrade" from the 30-day version using his DVD, but are you saying that he failed to install Vista, or that he failed to change his product key :question
PRO VETERAN

Postby Lancew70 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:58 am

JabbaPapa wrote:Suggest he try it without entering any product key at all on first setup ;)

Failing that, he can always "upgrade" from the 30-day version using his DVD, but are you saying that he failed to install Vista, or that he failed to change his product key :question

JabbaPapa... You're correct. I should have given a bit more explanation. :oops:

My understanding of what he did was he used the steps provided (no key entered during install) but after clicking on Change Product Key, and entering his Vista Business product key to Validate Vista he received a message from MS server that said something to the effect he could not use the upgrade key to validate from a full install.

So, he just did the upgrade from within Vista.

If I understand your response, you're saying the procedure still works if you follow the procedure correctly...right? :)

Thanks
PRO Level 3

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:28 pm

Microsoft does keep an eye out for this kind of hack/workaround, and it is quite possible that this door has been partially closed ; but if so, I would be loathe to offer any further steps to keep your foot in the door, as they would be quite plainly illegal.

I will test it again to ascertain the truth here, but I would not be surprised if Microsoft had in fact removed this licensing loophole ;)
PRO VETERAN

Postby PRstud » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:56 am

I was given the link to this page by shreader. And it works as you guys said
PRO Level 3

Postby PRstud » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:39 am

Sorry I spoke to soon, I am having the same problem the person before me is having. It will not accept my upgrade key either.
PRO Level 3

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:43 am

PRstud wrote:Sorry I spoke to soon, I am having the same problem the person before me is having. It will not accept my upgrade key either.

Did you click on Change Product Key, and enter your product key?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby PRstud » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:13 pm

Yes I did.
PRO Level 3

Postby PRstud » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:09 pm

I disconnected HD 1 with XP PRO. I installed XP PRO on HD 2. Then I did a Clean instal of Windows Vista. Everything was good on HD 2. I then reconnected HD 1, and restarted. I had a choice of OS, but when I tried the Vista on HD 2 it game me error message. I thought that would do it but it didnt. How can I get it fixed???
PRO Level 3

Postby augie » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:26 pm

PRstud wrote:I disconnected HD 1 with XP PRO. I installed XP PRO on HD 2. Then I did a Clean instal of Windows Vista. Everything was good on HD 2. I then reconnected HD 1, and restarted. I had a choice of OS, but when I tried the Vista on HD 2 it game me error message. I thought that would do it but it didnt. How can I get it fixed???

What was the message that you got?
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

PreviousNext

Return to General Windows Support