A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

How to change registered owner?

How to change registered owner?

Postby bobseptic » Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:14 pm

:drinking:
my mate just purchased a pent. 4 pc. What he would like to do is change the registered owner and all other references to the previous owner without reinstalling xp.
Abit ip35 pro + e6850 go @3960Mhz, 4 gig pc8500 ballistix, 8800 GTS 512 g92. 150 Gig Raptor for OS, 1*400gig seagate, 1*500 sata 2, 1*200gig sata, 1*300 ide, 2* nec 7170 dvdrw, Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case. 22" Samsung LCD, kicking a** in battlefield 2142. Vista 64 Ultimate SP1.
PRO Level 5

Postby purplehawk34 » Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:05 pm

Well, Bob, I just accomplished that myself - but not without a good deal of angst. If I had it to do over again, I would surely elect to reinstall.

What I did was create a new user account for my granddaughter on the "new" machine she was inheriting from her brother. I gave her full privileges on this machine. I transferred all his files and settings from this machine and then uninstalled and/or deleted said files, leaving her with an XP OS and shell, basically. Booted into safe mode as Administrator and deleted his entire account and profile. Upon reboot, she was back to the Bliss theme and all the crap XP loads on a new install, like "Take a Tour of Windows" and "Sign up for a .Net Passport."

We transferred her files and settings from her old system but had to reinstall most of the software anyway, because we kept getting "this program is not properly installed" errors.

All told, I would reinstall in a heartbeat after screwing around with this method for a week. (The week is because my project involved four new system configurations.)
purplehawk34

Postby Mac33 » Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:40 pm

You done very well though Sheri, but i think it would have been easier with a new install as it would have saved all that time. MInd you it certainly helps to keep the practise going.
mac :)
PROfessional Member

Postby purplehawk » Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:14 pm

Sure does, Mac. But I am just hard-headed and cussed enough to keep at it until I got it right. Everything is cool now, even if I did get there the hard way.

On the other hand, the next time I want a "Piece of the Cliff," I will elect to reinstall the OS on the children's machines. Far easier.
purplehawk

Postby dlt » Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:11 pm

I'm pretty sure you can tweak the registry and change the owner's name if that's all you want to do. However any other software that is installed and registered will need to be tweaked separately.
I am extraordinary, I am just your ordinary
average every day sane psycho supergoddess
~Liz Phair, Extraordinary~
PROfessional Member

Postby s. sengupta » Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:51 pm

Yes! the tweaking in the Registry is like this:-
Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE).
Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows NT\ CurrentVersion.
To change the values of the RegisteredOrganization, RegisteredOwner, or ProductId, simply double-click on them.
:)
PRO Level 15

Postby s. sengupta » Sat Aug 17, 2002 12:29 am

There is also a nice small utility-"Name Editor" that allows you to change or modify the 'Registered Owner and Organization' information in the Windows.No installation required.
Download Link:- http://www.williamlogan.org/FreewareInd ... rToys.html
PRO Level 15

Postby purplehawk » Sat Aug 17, 2002 12:46 am

Where were you two 90 minutes ago when I gave up and did a format and reinstall of my granddaughter's computer? She was outraged that her brother's name kept popping up all over the place. Apparently, my attempt to delete him in Safe Mode didn't work. Everything we were doing to her machine ended up in his profile. :evil:
purplehawk

change

Postby kenshin » Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:32 pm

is there a way to change the name of the registered programs also?
PRO Level 3

Postby spike777 » Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:50 am

Reality check: You can change the names in the registry all day long & you still havent changed the registered user, because of our friend sid.

The only way you can dump the sid is with the opk tools sysprep & factory reset to complete the oobe (out of box experience in microspeak)

Thats how you do the pre-install for the "pre-loaded" pc's.
PRO Level 5

Return to Guides