A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

How do you overclock a processor?

Postby seanh1218 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:16 am

As for OC, my choice would be Abit and Epox.
Basically, the ways of OC really depend on which CPU and MB (Chipset also) you are using.
Of course, RAM would be another key point if you want to OC the FSB and expect to gain more performance from OC.
No pain, no gain.
PRO New Member

Postby Jbon » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:09 am

I am afraid I can't even add confusion to this thread.. I mostly bring the need for knowledge to this, or any "table"(forum) I have to admit it nI do not know enough to help anyone or add good content to this forum, but I am glad I was allowed to join, anyway..
I probably would only waste a bunch of time even if i were to be allowed this "beta"
I would like to hear from anybody about how a person might obtain sp2..or a deal on upgrade to xp pro from home... this much I do know
PRO New Member

Postby TheViking » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:46 am

ginogsm wrote:PIV's multiplier is locked. You can oc these CPUs by adjusting the FSB. Assus and Abit - my prefference - are the best in oc.

Thats right. I purchased a ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe and a P4 3.2GHz. I runs very fine at 3.7GHz - out of the box.

Heavy cooling can get it to 4.1 GHz (if you want to pay a power bill of $ 1.000 per year - (24/7/365 that is))
PRO New Member

Postby Cloud Strife » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:24 pm

Viking you need to buy a Promethia if you wanna push that baby. I would like to see how far you could get it.

I myself have just redone my watercooling setup and has helped me attain a higher FSB on my AMD setup. Currently doing Prime95 @ 220 FSB with PC3000 ram.
AMD 2500+ Mobile @ 2.4ghz 1.82v
Abit NF7-S, Mushkin PC3000 2.5-3-3 @ 220 FSB
80gb WD SE, Saphire 9800NP 128mb, DVD+/- RW
Klipsch Promedia 4.1 THX, 3000/256 cable internet
and a custom watercooled PC that cost too much
--------------------------------------------------
PRO Level 2

Postby TheViking » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:44 pm

Cloud Strife wrote:Viking you need to buy a Promethia if you wanna push that baby. I would like to see how far you could get it.

I myself have just redone my watercooling setup and has helped me attain a higher FSB on my AMD setup. Currently doing Prime95 @ 220 FSB with PC3000 ram.

Cloude Strife,

Yes, but water alone will not get me very far. Intel needs minus Celsius degrees to get over the 3.7 barrier.
PRO New Member

Postby Cloud Strife » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:18 pm

I know the Intel does a lot better on phase change. Are you running on air alone or are you watercooling?
AMD 2500+ Mobile @ 2.4ghz 1.82v
Abit NF7-S, Mushkin PC3000 2.5-3-3 @ 220 FSB
80gb WD SE, Saphire 9800NP 128mb, DVD+/- RW
Klipsch Promedia 4.1 THX, 3000/256 cable internet
and a custom watercooled PC that cost too much
--------------------------------------------------
PRO Level 2

Postby atown333 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:09 pm

the faster your chip the more heat its gonna through off man ... if you start to overclock you better upgrade your cooling system as a simple fan most likely will not keep the chip cool ... resulting in shorter life of the chip .. more system hang ups ... etc etc ... why overclock i say just upgrade the processor man ... the chip companys obviously mad each chip a certain speed for a reason .. i think they would be the ones that know how faster it can run where it will be most stable and last the longest
PRO Level 2

Postby Cloud Strife » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:12 pm

atown333 wrote: why overclock i say just upgrade the processor man ... the chip companys obviously mad each chip a certain speed for a reason .. i think they would be the ones that know how faster it can run where it will be most stable and last the longest

You are incorrect. AMD has made many processor that can run fine at higher speeds at default voltages. Sometimes they have shortages in certain speed classes and they must fill that gap by downgrading processors. This is where the huge rush to buy JIUHB 1700+ CPU's came into play from the AMD platform. They overclocked to 3200+ speeds and do the job as a regular 3200+ would. This is why AMD implemented the multiplier lock to prevent this.
PRO Level 2

Postby polaris » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:15 pm

atown333 wrote:the faster your chip the more heat its gonna through off man ... if you start to overclock you better upgrade your cooling system as a simple fan most likely will not keep the chip cool ... resulting in shorter life of the chip .. more system hang ups ... etc etc ... why overclock i say just upgrade the processor man ... the chip companys obviously mad each chip a certain speed for a reason .. i think they would be the ones that know how faster it can run where it will be most stable and last the longest

in my case, i am running a 2500+ clocked at 3200+. Once I get a real 3200+, I can then overclock that even faster. More bang for the buck.
PRO Level 2

Postby TheViking » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:30 pm

Cloud Strife wrote:I know the Intel does a lot better on phase change. Are you running on air alone or are you watercooling?

I have estimated my power budget in case of both Peltier + Water and for phase change. I'll stick to air. Mains power is quite expensive here in Denmark. I have an Zalman CNPS 7000-Cu. Temps are 30/40 C (idle/load).
PRO New Member

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware and Customizing