A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Horrifying monitor problem

Horrifying monitor problem

Postby TV-VCR » Thu May 01, 2008 2:38 am

I swear I'm going to go postal if I can't figure this out.

I just set up my Gateway HD2200 22" LCD monitor. For the past 3 hours I've been trying to calibrate it, and the gradients - no matter what I do - continue to look like complete crap. This is the best I can describe it - the one on the right is what gradients pretty much look like on my computer. It's mostly invisible with black and white but for other colors it's like 1995 all over again.

Anyone know what's wrong? :no

Also, every image looks like a .gif... ugh...
Intel D975XBX2, GeForce 8800GTX, 4GB (2 sticks) Memory, Core 2 Duo E6600, 3 SATA HDDs
PRO Level 7

Postby TV-VCR » Fri May 02, 2008 1:54 am

I wikied it and apparently what I'm suffering from is some serious color banding. Can someone please help me fix this?
Intel D975XBX2, GeForce 8800GTX, 4GB (2 sticks) Memory, Core 2 Duo E6600, 3 SATA HDDs
PRO Level 7

Postby Nativedude » Fri May 02, 2008 2:03 am

hmm... I really don't know on that one
Is this something that just started happening or is it a new monitor?
If it is a new one I'd try to Return it or something
PRO Level 15

Postby TV-VCR » Fri May 02, 2008 2:27 am

Nativedude wrote:hmm... I really don't know on that one
Is this something that just started happening or is it a new monitor?
If it is a new one I'd try to Return it or something

Hell no. The shipping on it would be insane. Also, several people in the reviews on the egg site are also getting the color banding problem: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824113011
PRO Level 7

Postby mnemonicj » Fri May 02, 2008 2:56 am

I would disable any special features in the monitor that would "improve" the quality or make the response time faster.

All the reviews on this monitor say that it isn't good for people that play games or watch high definition content. I have always seen better reviews on Dell monitors.

Newegg has a good return policy and will even send you a shipping tag at their discounted shipping rate. Anything is better than having a lemon.
PRO Level 15

Postby TV-VCR » Fri May 02, 2008 3:03 am

mnemonicj wrote:I would disable any special features in the monitor that would "improve" the quality or make the response time faster.

All the reviews on this monitor say that it isn't good for people that play games or watch high definition content. I have always seen better reviews on Dell monitors.

Newegg has a good return policy and will even send you a shipping tag at their discounted shipping rate. Anything is better than having a lemon.

The only special feature it has is "Ultraresponse" (MORE LIKE ULTRAGHOST) which, turned on or off, doesn't change the color banding at all.

And also, even if I return this monitor it looks like the next one I will get will have the same problem. Not to mention, do you even realize how much it will cost to ship, even with a tag? I'm only 15, and I assure you I have no money to burn, especially after buying this worthless thing. :-x
PRO Level 7

Return to General Tech Chat