A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

High pitched squeaking hard disk on PC shutdown [RESOLVED]

High pitched squeaking hard disk on PC shutdown [RESOLVED]

Postby Shrimp » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:26 am

Hello,

I installed XP on a notebook (which initially was under Vista Home Basic) after having deleted, recreated and formated the Vista partition with Gparted. But each time I turned the PC off, the hard disk made this awfull high pitched squeak we can hear when we have to press the button to turn the PC off in emergency.

So I restored Vista and then could smoothly shut the PC down. I then reinstalled XP (in dual boot this time(*)) and the painful noise came back on every shutdown. The problem is only with XP, but I don't want to keep Vista only to reboot on it before turning the PC off.

Some linuxians had the same problem with their Ubuntu (while their Vista or XP shut down smoothly) and resolved it by doing this :
"Simply write a file at "/etc/rc0.d/S00hdd-shutdown-workaround" which includes this two lines:
#!/bin/sh
echo 1 > /sys/class/scsi_disk/0\:0\:0\:0/stop_on_shutdown"

Would there be an equivalent solution with windows ? Or any other solution ? Maybe using Gparted initially created my problem (I don't know anything about Linux) ?
Please excuse my English and thank you in advance for any help you could provide...

Shrimp

(*)Thanks to your forum ^*^
PRO New Member

Re: High pitched squeaking hard disk on PC shutdown

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:24 am

It could be caused by not having the correct chipset drivers installed. Check the site of the manufacturer of your system for XP drivers or let us know from Device Manager, what the SATA/IDE controller is and we can help you find drivers.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Shrimp » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:19 am

Hello Grav!ty

The device manager does not display any warning.
Everest does not display any information about chipset, it just informs me that the motherboard is a generic eMachines.
The SATA/IDE controller is : NVidia nForce Serial ATA Controller.
The NVidia driver I used is : 15.25_nforce_winxp32_international_whql
I used Nlite to integrate the SATA drivers with the "single driver" and "text mode" options. It gave this :
C:\15.25_nforce_winxp32_international_whql\Awy\nvawy.inf,0
C:\15.25_nforce_winxp32_international_whql\Ethernet\nvenetfd.inf,0
C:\15.25_nforce_winxp32_international_whql\IDE\WinXP\sata_ide\nvgts.inf,BUSDRV
C:\15.25_nforce_winxp32_international_whql\IDE\WinXP\sataraid\nvrd32.inf,BUSDRV
C:\15.25_nforce_winxp32_international_whql\IDE\WinXP\sataraid\nvrd32.inf,RAIDCLASS
C:\15.25_nforce_winxp32_international_whql\SMBus\nf4sys.inf,0
C:\15.25_nforce_winxp32_international_whql\SMU\smuc.inf,0.

The XP installations ran without any problem.
Later on I even tried (just in case) to install 15.26_nforce_winxp32_international_whql.exe from my desktop but it did not change anything...

Please if you are talking about another chipset, let me know...
+ any suggestion will be welcomed ...
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:43 am

Yeah those look to be the latest nForce drivers. All I can suggest then is that you delete the partition and recreate it using XP setup to do it or from a different OS if XP is not on the partition tagged (System) according to Disk Management. You'll need to reinstall XP obviously.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:36 am

There are a few computers out there today that simply aren't fully XP-compatible, although it would be _very_ unusual for one that is preinstalled with Vista Home Basic Edition to belong to that category...

Can you please tell us which model of notebook you have ?
PRO VETERAN

Postby JabbaPapa » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:37 am

Do you have 2 GB or 4 GB RAM installed ? -- there are a few rare machines that can be unhappy running XP with 4 GB, particularly where high powered integrated graphics are incorporated onto the motherboard.

BTW what is your reason for wanting to install XP on that machine ? It looks like a great machine for Vista, and more importantly for Windows 7.
PRO VETERAN

Postby Shrimp » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:03 am

There are 4 Gb RAM installed. As this problem starts driving me mad, I even took 2Gb off the PC wondering if 4Gb were not too much. I've been trying to solve this issue for two weeks now.
As I am out of work and seeking a job as a secretary, I want to go on using XP for many small businesses use it (and it's not now that they are not going to invest in new equipments). Besides my boyfriend is only starting getting used to xp (after five years' time!!! :uhhh ) so...
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:44 pm

Hmmm ... it's a strange one ...

If you do need it that badly, perhaps you may wish to obtain a USB floppy drive, and use the standard F6 method of drivers installation, so that you can use a clean XP setup disc as provided by Microsoft ? Of course, if this is an endemic problem when running XP on that hardware, it might not solve anything :(
PRO VETERAN

Postby Shrimp » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:01 pm

1) Are you suggesting that the Nlite CD created from an original XP setup disc + the integrated drivers could be the source of the problem ?

2) If yes, I have to enquire to make sure that a USB floppy disk would be detected by the BIOS because I can't change any settings in it except the boot order. (I know : I'd prefer a desktop PC but my place is too small... :embarrassed: )
PRO New Member

Next

Return to General Windows Support