A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Helpctr.exe & others missing

Helpctr.exe & others missing

Postby jmurr » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:42 am

Suddenly Help and Support, MSCONFIG and SFC do not run.

I found MSCONFIG and placed a shortcut on my desktop and it runs but will not run from the Run command, error is “windows cannot find MSCONFIG”. I cannot find Helpctr.exe but I did find Help & Support in Services. It was not started and when I tried to start it the error "Could not start the Help and Support service on Local Computer.
Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service" I have run helpsvcfix but still no joy.

If I type SFC /? in the Run box a command window flashes on the screen the vanishes.

Any help would be appreciated.
Jim
PRO Level 3

Re: Helpctr.exe & others missing

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:04 am

I think first prize is if you can restore your system to a point before this happened.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Re: Helpctr.exe & others missing

Postby JabbaPapa » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:10 am

Grav!ty wrote:I think first prize is if you can restore your system to a point before this happened.

Unfortunately, the native system restore tool in XP is broken and almost never works as it should :(

It sounds as if you have some Windows Registry damage, perhaps caused by some malware like a virus or some malevolent web script -- although some hardware or software or power-failure -based I/O deficiencies can also damage Windows.

You should perhaps try a "repair install" of XP -- just boot from the XP CD and run as if doing a clean install, and it should at some point ask you if you want to repair the existing XP setup. Select this option :)

But it does sound as if you may actually just need to clean install XP from scratch :( --- if so, make sure that all your data is properly located in a safe place -- although you most likely will not need to format any partitions in any case, so that even a clean install should not damage any of your data :)
PRO VETERAN

Return to General Windows Support