A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

HDD Format

HDD Format

Postby HachemK » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:27 pm

Hi Everyone!

Does formatting a drive too much or just formatting in general shorten a HDD's life? Does it impact on the wear and tear of the drive?

Thank-You!
Regards,
Karim
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
PRO Level 5

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:01 pm

I'd say that excessive formatting (like multiple times a day, everyday for years) would have a negative impact on the drive mechanically. Having said that though, full formatting is nothing other than writing to a drive and a quick format just marks utilized space as being available, so in the normal course of events, it's unlikely that formatting in itself will damage a drive.

The MTBF (mean time between failure) of most hard drives is something like a million hours and like I said, formatting represents standard usage of a drive.

What is the reason for your question by the way?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby HachemK » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:12 pm

Thanks! :D

Well actually my friend has an HDD that he has formatted about three times, 2 years after purchase then 1 year later and finally 9 months later. He was worried he damaged its performance or shortened it life. :D

Thx Gravity!:)
Regards,
Karim
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
PRO Level 5

Postby imnuts » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:06 pm

Turning a drive on and off will tend to be worse for a drive than just leaving it on all the time or off all the time. Reading and writing generally isn't an issue with drive lifespans unless it's a heavily used disk (network storage)
PRO SUPREME

Return to Hardware and Customizing