A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Have Vista on Laptop - want XP installed too (Resolved)

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Postby eor » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:38 am

i think i did everything as you said. not too sure about the three files, just took 2 from the xp cd and the boot.ini i took from vistaboot and threw them all on the vista desktop (for easy reference; you didn't mention a specific place to put them), and continued with the instructions (xp points to e drive now).

upon restart, and selecting win xp, i see the following:

file: \ntdlr

info: the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

now i'm pretty certain xp was installed correctly because i was using it to make those screen caps and stuff. is ntdlr another thing i need to pluck off the win xp cd and drop on the vista desktop? oh well, it still progress. :)

love,
eor

ok, saw this brought up elsewhere, but where do i go to change my folder settings? vista is smarter than me right now. :(
PRO Level 2

Postby NT50 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:24 pm

The three files are suppose to go on the root of the system drive not the desktop. Open Disk Management in Vista and see which is the system drive. Move the three files to the root directory of the system drive. Once moved, use VistaBootPro and run the Diagnostics
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby eor » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:37 am

ok, moved them to the c (system drive), but i get the same thing. i put them in the root(?) folder, or the very top one for the c drive. that's what you meant, right? the highest c drive folder? if not, i remain a moron. either way, no "earlier windows" designation, same result on start up. :(

love,
eor
PRO Level 2

Postby The Phoenix » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:32 am

He means put it in the root of your drive, as in NOT in any folder, just on your harddrive.
Jamie
ImageImage
PRO Level 15

Postby eor » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:58 am

eor are so smrt! ^*^

it finally happened! one computer-- two operating systems!

funny thing is, that's where i first put those files, but it didn't work. that's when i tried to windows folder, program files folder and the desktop. that's why i was so confused by the root thing, cause i had already tried it. probably screwed it up somehow, or guess it just felt like working.

at any rate, i thank all who participated. this is a great day in eor history. much obliged.

love,
eor
PRO Level 2

Postby NT50 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:15 am

Congrats I'm changing this one to resolved finally....
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Previous

Return to Windows Boot Problems