A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

>>>Hard Drives<<<

>>>Hard Drives<<<

Postby stucol » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:41 pm

I thought Id share some information maybe you know it maybe you dont but all my friends are having the problem. I recently installed mandrake 10 communtiy release and damaged my hard disks pre-factory software. I could not install anything on it Windows, linux etc. Now most good hard drive companies have a boot cd to format your hard drive and zero format it which i used to fix it with this special little diagnostic tool from Seagate. I was so exstatic I had to share it with everyone
PRO New Member

Postby OsirisX » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:11 pm

Mandrake Community should not damage your hd in anyway, it may be possible that they may be using the wrong method of installation.
BTW welcome to pronet.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby jallis » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:29 am

i have noticed that the community install of version 10 had first cd install startup problems. the solution was to use the second cd to boot up and then switch over to disc one to start the setup.
i second the welcome to pronet......!!
joe

until i build my next system, it looks like it'll be just me and the mac mini...
PRO Level 3

Postby OsirisX » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:46 am

BTW, I've just installed Mandrake 10 Official and it is working out very nicely.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby JCARES » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:52 pm

I install Linux Mandrake Comm 10 and have the same prob that describes jallis, when installing Linux, they dont damage the drive phisycally, just logically, also u can install linux and windows in the same hard drive without problems, but, if u want to uninstall linux, you need to format to zero your hard drive.
I recommend low level format the drive then install again the desired OS (s)

I use this low level formatter... It's secure and quick

http://www.ameriwebs.net/groupworks/george/maxtor.htm

Download the util from Maxtor Maxllf from here...

http://www.ameriwebs.net/groupworks/downloads/llfutil.exe

JC
just me.... Shaylli's boyfriend
PRO Level 2

Postby egkenny » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:28 pm

I dual-boot Windows XP Pro and Linux on my second drive.

I recently had to low level my drive because Fedora Core 2 messed up the partition table. There seems to a bug in Linux Kerenl 2.6.

Normally with RedHat and Fedora all I have to get rid of the linux partitons was to do this:
1. Boot with Linux install CD 1
2. Enter: linux rescue
3. When I get to the command line I enter the command: fdisk /dev/hdb
(if linux was on the first drive I would have specified fdisk /dev/hda)
4. Use P command to list partitions
5. Use D command to delete Linux partitions by number
6. Use W command to update partition table
7. Reboot to Windows

The linux partitions would be gone but the GRUB boot loader would still be there. To fix this:
1. Boot using the Windows XP CD
2. Use the R command to get to the recovery console
3. Type the command: fixmbr

Now you are ready to go back into Windows and repartition and reformat the new free space.
PRO Level 3

Postby neo55555 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:17 pm

Im always installing new OS but nothing is better than XP or even win 98!

Linux always seems to be too unstable on all my PCs, you can install mac on a PC, so all thats left is Microsoft! ^*^

I like the way linux looks but it takes a long time to load, it no good for basic users e.g high school kids or no users to computers. Its not realy user friendly.

Anyway, if your having trouble installing other OS, it will be because linux as re partitioned your drive to non windows & you will have to re partition it. Just in the XP disk, when xp setup loads, click R to repair and then type at the command prompt " diskpart "

I hope this helps

Jon
----
PRO New Member

Return to Hardware and Customizing