A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Hard Drive issues installing XP on Vista System

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Postby DrZEUS » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:15 pm

Hi I just joined....great site!

I had purchased two HP dv notebooks (dv9205 and dv6265) for me and a friend and proceeded to install a dual boot. These notebooks come with Vista preloaded and I want to put XP on them.

The dv9205 has been successfully "dual booted" using the steps outlined in this thread (more or less).

Thinking this next one was going to be easy, I ran into my first problem. This is what I did so far:

1) resized (shrink) the vista partition in vista disk management and created a new partition for the xp install.
2) formatted new partition (quick format)
3) rebooted twice (I did NOT see a messaage prompting me to restart my computer - http://img249.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... figmq6.png
4) Nevertheless I rebooted twice
5) rebooted again with XP Pro CD in drive
6) installation began and at the "Install WinXP" part, I selected "Enter" to install. I then got the following error:

setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer, make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer....

My first guess I may need to do an F6 and use the mobo drivers for XP install to use during the setup. Tried looking online and found nothing. Any other ideas what could be causing this error?
PRO New Member

Postby DrZEUS » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:15 pm

After giving it some more thought I realized the hard drive on the dv6265 is SATA which means the problem of not recognizing the drive must have been a SATA driver issue. I then stumbled across this thread:

http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/about ... sc-10.html

It dawned on me that I would have to disable SATA mode in the BIOS so I did that and sure enough the XP install can now see the drive.

However, the problem now is that it only detects the main vista partition...not the one I created for XP.
PRO New Member

Postby DrZEUS » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:48 pm

Update:

I made the same repy in another thread too.

I have an original XP Pro CD with no SP1 or SP2 on it. After disabling SATA support in the BIOS, XP install recognized the drive but not the XP partition I made.

I then created a new XP Pro CD from my original that included SP2. SP2 includes the necessary drivers for SATA support and thus during setup the drive and partitions were recognized.

As for the driver list above, I just want to add that I downloaded older model drivers in the dv6000 series that originally came with XP. The only driver I had problems with was the audio one which I ended up getting a driver package from another site that had the necessary one I needed.
PRO New Member

Postby DrZEUS » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:02 pm

Ok new problem. lol

Everything works fine now, however, as I mentioned above, I had to switch off Native SATA support in my bios in order to get XP setup to recongnize and install XP at the time.

After the install, and everything working fine, I switched back to SATA Native Support in the bios (enabled). Vista boots up fine and "found new hardware" popped up installing the SATA drivers for the hard drive.

The problem is booting into Windows XP...when selected in the OS menu, the XP splash screen appears as if its loading, then all of a sudden it crashes (blue screen).

Disabling SATA support in the bios again allows XP to be bootable.

boot.ini:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
PRO New Member

Postby mintt2 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:55 pm

for me i did a long way

i dload the sata ahci ctlr sp32478 from hp website
then create the driver needed on floppy disk using my desktop
then copy the content from floppy to usb thumbdrive
move the usb td to laptop to install the sata driver

there are 2 ata ctlr under device manager
i chose the one with GBM at the end (the other one is for dvd)

restart then reenable the sata in bios
PRO Level 3

Postby DrZEUS » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:04 pm

so i have to reinstall XP?
PRO New Member

Postby mintt2 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:53 pm

no need to reinstall xp
did u manage to get the sata driver?

logon to xp with the sata disable in bios
in device manager-ide ata/atapi-right click the intel GBM u ata ctrl-update driver-point to the folder with sata driver
restart then enable the sata in bios
PRO Level 3

Postby DrZEUS » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:56 pm

there is no instance of the Intel Controller in device manager...I tried that.

I tried manually updated the ? marks in device manager hoping one of them would be the SaTA controller but if SATA is disabled I dont think you can do it (XP does not see it). I think my only option is a reinstall...unless any last minute ideas/recommendations?

Thanks so far.
PRO New Member

Postby DrZEUS » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:59 pm

Just to add, in XP under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in device manager it shows:

Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
PRO New Member

Postby mintt2 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:06 pm

ok.
right click the primary ide channel
update driver..
point to the sata driver

right now ur xp is using normal ide/ata controller
need to chg to sata ahci controller before u can enable in bios

just to make clear.... we are discussing the dv6265 right?
have u install the sp32555 - Intel Chipset Installation Utility for ICH7?
maybe that why u did not see the intel 82801gbm controller?
PRO Level 3

Return to Windows Boot Problems