A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Guidance needed on removing XP/Win 7 dual boot

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Guidance needed on removing XP/Win 7 dual boot

Postby jfail » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:24 pm

I have two disk drives, one with Windows XP the other with Windows 7 using DualBootPro.

The XP drive is connected to the motherboard SATA 0 connector, the Windows 7 drive is connected to the motherboard SATA 1 connector.

This system with DualBootPro has worked very well for me.

I no longer need the XP system and want to convert that drive for Windows 7 backup use.

Because of a problem with Adobe Photoshop Elements restore function, I need to get the Windows 7 drive onto SATA 0 or Photoshop Elements will not restore my thousands of pictures to the correct drive.

I reversed the connections placing Windows 7 on SATA 0 and XP on SATA 1.

Everything works fine, I get the dual boot selection on system startup and Windows 7/XP work normally based on my selection.

I no longer need the XP drive for dual booting, I would like to get the Dual Boot menu to go away and just boot directly into Windows 7. I am unsure how to do that? Once that is done I want to just format the XP drive and use it for backups.

Long and the short of it is how do I make the dual boot menu go away and just boot straight to Windows 7?
PRO New Member

Re: Guidance needed on removing XP/Win 7 dual boot

Postby NT50 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:19 pm

If you are using DualBootPro you can simply remove the XP entry and it will no longer show the XP selection. The only issue you might have is IF your boo mangement files are located on the root of the XP drive. Look in you disk manager and see which drive is the System/Boot drive. If it is the XP drive then you will have to copy the file "bootmgr" and the folder with contents "Boot" to the root of the Win 7 drive. Disconnect the XP drive and use the Win 7 DVD to do a startup repair. This will make the Win7 drive the System drive then. plug back in the XP drive and format it. If the Win7 drive is already your System/boot dirve you shoudl just be able to format it then without doing a startup repair.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby jfail » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:07 pm

Thanks for your help. When you say disk manager do you mean the windows 7 disk management function? That shows that the windows 7 drive is: Disk 0, Boot, page file,crash dump,primary partition. It shows the XP drive is Disk 1, system, active, primary partion.

I wanted to clear that up before I did anything. Hopefully I won't have to do anything else, I don't want to mess anything up, I worked too long and hard to get this all set up my way.

Thanks again

John
PRO New Member

Postby jfail » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:35 pm

I see that DualBootPro accesses the same function of windows when selecting it in DualBoot Pro. I don't see a folder called boot or a file called bootmgr in the root of either computer. I have display hidden files and folders turned on in folder options.
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:43 pm

You will have to uncheck the box for hide system files and folders also.

From what you mentined the XP is your system drive also. You may have to do a startup repair. Hopefully with Win 7 being the Boot drive the files are already located on the Win 7 drive.
PROfessional Member

Postby jfail » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:59 pm

I worded that badly. I have hidden files and folders UNCHECKED and I don't see the file/folders you mentioned on either drive.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:09 pm

You also need to uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" in Folder Options to be able to see them.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:10 pm

See image below.
Attachments
folderoptions.PNG
folderoptions.PNG (52.93 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
PROfessional Member

Postby jfail » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:38 pm

You were right on. I missed unchecking that box.

The bootmgr file and boot folder are on the XP drive and not on the Windows 7 drive. From what you told me I presume those files/folders are compatible between XP and 7 ? So just move that file and folder to the Win 7 drive then use the Win 7 DVD and boot repair ? What about boot.ini?

I have never used boot repair, does it come up immediately or do I have to select something else on the Win 7 installation DVD ?

I sure appreciate your help.
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:59 am

You will need the file "bootmgr" and the folder with contents "Boot" on the root of the Win 7 drive. Do not format the XP drive yet until you get the computer running soley on the Win 7 hard drive.
Copy the file sover
unplug the XP drive
Boot to Win 7 DVD and do a startup repair (may have to do it two times)
Reboot and make sure it works
connect he XP drive and format it.
PROfessional Member

Next

Return to Windows Boot Problems