A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Graphics card /Monitor connection problems

Graphics card /Monitor connection problems

Postby gin2701 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:09 pm

My husband bought a DVI-D cable, attached it to his graphics card and to the LCD monitor but all he got was a blinking screen. The cable was replaced with a new one but the problem remains. After checking we saw that the connector on the monitor is DVI-D (Dual link female) and the one on the graphics card is DVI-I (Dual link female). Is there any way to get rid of the blinking screen?
PRO Level 2

Postby NT50 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:08 pm

does your monitor have the standard VGA connection?
If so you can use that until you find the proper cable.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby mnemonicj » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:09 pm

DVI-I is supposed to support both DVI-A and DVI-D so the video card and monitor should work together.

Are you sure you have the correct input selected on the monitor? My monitor is a Sony and it allows me to select DVI, VGA, or Auto.
PRO Level 15

Postby _Taz_ » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:33 pm

do you have two video ports? i.e. a lot of Dells came with a standard analog VGA port and a graphics card with DVI. if you ordered it with analog monitor they turned that one on otherwise the dvi was default. depending on your bios settings the card maybe turned off.

if you only have one video source I would say there is a driver issue (probably refresh rate wrong)
PRO Level 13

Postby Malhovic » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:01 pm

Mostly, what kind of blinking screen? Are you seeing something where the screen blinks the proper display constantly OR are you seeing something where the screen flips from powersave to on and then back again? If you are seeing the powersave problem, make sure your video card is sensing the new monitor as that could be your problem. If you are finding that it is flashing the proper screen, you are either have a driver iss as _Taz_ stated or you might even be having a hardware problem with the monitor (if you haven't verified it works on another computer).

PROfessional Member

Return to Hardware and Customizing