A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Google to kill Domain Tasting

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:07 am

January 24th, 2008
by Jay Westerdal

A confidential informant says Google will stop monetizing all domains if they are less then five days old. This potential new policy change by Google could stop all Domain Tasting in its tracks. The Add Grace Period (AGP) is a time period when registrars can delete a domain at no cost, but in this time frame a registrant could register millions of these temporary domains and place Google Adsense for Domains on them. The result is the ability to produce millions of temporary websites that literally generate millions of dollars in income per week for Google.

It was disclosed in court that one of Google

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:09 am

The term "Domain Tasting" caught my attention. Never heard of it till today. Seems like a lot of work cancelling and renewing a purchase every 5 days but obviously it's been very lucrative for some unorthodox players.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby kanaloa » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:52 am

It's about DARN time. This is the best news I've heard regarding Ads this year so far.

The MFA (made for Adsense) sites have crippled the honest sites out there, and this is wonderful news.

I've always wondered how in a 5-day period anyone could get people to their website, but I guess with enough domains, and enough folks surfing and putting in the wrong domains, it adds up.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby kanaloa » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:02 am

More on MFA and what they've done. It's basically a search results page turned into HTML and then hosted on your server. If you make enough of them, say 300, even at a dollar a day you could make thousands.

http://jasonkolb.typepad.com/weblog/200 ... _save.html
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts