A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Getting ready to setup dual boot system

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Re: Getting ready to setup dual boot system

Postby apw63 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:50 pm

OK changed drive letter in vista disk management from E: to F:. Rebooted twice to set the partition. When I tried to boot to XP. I still get the same error from windows boot manager. This is what is says below the try to use the repair tool.

File: \ntldr
Info: The selection entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I'm not 100% sure what my boot.ini should say here is a copy of what is is

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Here is a link to a pic of my DM

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/a ... 061809.jpg

Let me know if I need to start over or change something.
Andy
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:53 pm

boot.ini file is correct

Try copying ntldr, NTDETECT, and boot.ini to your XP partiton if they are not there already

1.Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
2.When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
3.Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
4.Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
5.You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
6.Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter, which in this case is "e." This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\ (here you will have to replace the e:\with the drive letter for you CD/DVD drive)
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

7.Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby apw63 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:45 am

yeshuas thank you for all your help. Your last suggestion of copying ntldr, NTDETECT, and boot.ini to my XP partiton, did the trick. I was able to boot to xp then boot to vista with no problems. Thank you for all of your fast responses.

For anyone needing to slipstream a xp disk it was easy with this program nlite. This is the link to the program http://www.nliteos.com/ I used this guide to embed the sata drivers http://www.digitgeek.com/how-to-slipstr ... nto-xp-cd/ and figured out how to do SP2 on my own.

Andy
PRO New Member

Previous

Return to PRO Software