A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Getting around "THE FireWall" at school.

Postby Xstream » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:33 am

Weaver, once again I wish that I only knew 25% of what you know........
PROfessional Member
User avatar
Posts: 3477
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2002 2:30 am
Location: USA

Postby coreyw2000 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:38 am

RyanD wrote:I just use proxys to circumvent the schools security and filtering. It lets you get to any website although not to use programs such as AIM.

A good proxy site is http://www.kris.nu so you can check it out if needing to get by the schools filtering.

*note* I am in no way saying this is right and or telling you to do this, if you get busted it is all your fault.

How do you use that site?
Be nice to nerds.... chances are you will end up working for one

<u><b>Current system</b></u>
ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI
AMD Athlon X2 6000+ o/c'd at 3.2GHz
4GB (2x2GB) OCZ RAM
Integrated Radeon HD 3200 (HDMI out)
500GB SATA/360GB IDE HDD's
32" Sharp 1080p Monitor/TV
Vista RTM/Vista SP2 Beta/7 6801
PROfessional Member
Posts: 4644
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:30 am
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada

Postby poisonbl » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:40 am

Weaver wrote:
OsirisX wrote:d*mn school computers doesn't even let me install the client, and blocks every possibly proxy site imaginable....


SSH Tunneling my friend. Run your SSH server on port 80 and there is no stopping you... :)

-Weaver


that only works if you have a way to put a box outside in the open internet, not just sitting in, for example, verizon's wan (i've had bad experiences with people in 3 different WANs trying to find each other's BF1942 servers), ... all my boxes sit in one closed net or another (school, apartment, etc.), i can go out, but i cant get in from anywhere else ... hmmm, i do kinda work with my department's (engineering at WVU) tech group right now (technically, i start tomorrow at 9am) ... maybe after i get settled in, i'll play more ... :whistle
Image
Image
PRO Level 10
User avatar
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:02 pm
Location: WVU -- Morgantown, WV. -- USA (TZ: -5 hrs GMT, -4 DST)

Postby Weaver » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:42 pm

poisonbl wrote:
Weaver wrote:
OsirisX wrote:d*mn school computers doesn't even let me install the client, and blocks every possibly proxy site imaginable....


SSH Tunneling my friend. Run your SSH server on port 80 and there is no stopping you... :)

-Weaver


that only works if you have a way to put a box outside in the open internet, not just sitting in, for example, verizon's wan (i've had bad experiences with people in 3 different WANs trying to find each other's BF1942 servers), ... all my boxes sit in one closed net or another (school, apartment, etc.), i can go out, but i cant get in from anywhere else ... hmmm, i do kinda work with my department's (engineering at WVU) tech group right now (technically, i start tomorrow at 9am) ... maybe after i get settled in, i'll play more ... :whistle


Well of course. There are only a few fundamental ways to defeat a filtering proxy. One of the ways is legitimately get around it using the mechanisms built into the proxy itself. Be it an override password or whatever.

Another is to break the proxy by force or with finesse. Break into the box it is running on, reconfigure and away you go. This method is not recommended as it is illegal, but always available.

Another way is to simply bypass the proxy. Many organisations configure clients so that its default gateway (default route) points to an interface on the proxy server. Then the proxy server communicates with an edge device like a router to send the datagram on its way out to the Internet. Bypassing the proxy would require a simple change of the default gateway to point to the edge device (router, etc). Note that this will not work if the filtering/proxying is done at the ISP level. Note that there are many reasons why this method will not work (edge device and proxy server are on physically different LAN segments), but I have seen it work in many cases.

Another way is to actually get out of the network legitimately by creating a tunnel (SSH, VPN, etc). The other end of this tunnel obviously has to be a location that the proxy server and router will let you connect to. Once the tunnel is up, it can be configured in a way that all of your requests pass through the tunnel and then go out to the Internet from the other end. The bottom line with this approach is that you have to have a device outside of the proxied network, and that device has to be reachable.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member
User avatar
Posts: 1967
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:05 am
Location: /home/weaver/

Postby Stryker762 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:38 pm

Here is a great TUTORIAL on how to go about bypassing most firewalls to freely browse the net.

How to Bypass Most Firewall Restrictions

:whistle
-Kevin-
Image
Image
Thanks to Jack-Knife for the sig
PRO Level 12
User avatar
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:25 pm
Location: The Motor City

Postby Davi » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:44 pm

Stryker762 wrote:Here is a great TUTORIAL on how to go about bypassing most firewalls to freely browse the net.

How to Bypass Most Firewall Restrictions

:whistle


HA great find....to bad schools almost over in 2 days........def next year lol
Fts Bmx
PRO Level 11
User avatar
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: New haven/CT

Postby Stryker762 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:46 pm

sk8101 wrote:
Stryker762 wrote:Here is a great TUTORIAL on how to go about bypassing most firewalls to freely browse the net.

How to Bypass Most Firewall Restrictions

:whistle


HA great find....to bad schools almost over in 2 days........def next year lol


Enjoy the summer ^*^
-Kevin-
Image
Image
Thanks to Jack-Knife for the sig
PRO Level 12
User avatar
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:25 pm
Location: The Motor City

Postby Davi » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:50 pm

Thanks you done?
Fts Bmx
PRO Level 11
User avatar
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: New haven/CT

Postby Stryker762 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:48 pm

I've been done for some years now. ^*^ ^*^
-Kevin-
Image
Image
Thanks to Jack-Knife for the sig
PRO Level 12
User avatar
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:25 pm
Location: The Motor City

Postby Davi » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:19 pm

lol lucky :lol:
Fts Bmx
PRO Level 11
User avatar
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: New haven/CT

PreviousNext

Return to Security & Virus

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
cron