A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Floppy Drive Failure

Postby PederLustzo » Fri May 21, 2004 7:29 pm

As far as now this is very unprobale to have been cause by changes in the network.

I also consider a virus unprobable as your three computers are not connected directly but throught the university network which has very probably set up some anti-virus-spreading policies.

The only physical source I could imagine woudl be extensive magnetism, but this is unprobable.

I ask myself wheter you four use any special software to connect to the university network, and this software could contain a bug.

A virus also seem unprobable to me as you use four different os's and I don't believe that there are many virii runnig on all of those.

Try to build the floppy out and build it in again. Also check weather the other hardware (espcailly the netork card) is not causing errors.

(I mean the network card could have been set up this way on all PC that it creats and IRQ or DMA conflict with the standart floppy setting -> look in you hardware setings)
PRO Level 3

odd

Postby rjz » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:20 pm

That is odd.

Check your device manager and bios. Get a goof floppy sisk and format it in a good computer and then put data on it. Format it in your computer. If it's bad the system should disable the drive. My controller did that to me.
PRO Level 4

Postby peterik » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:31 am

1.clear the CMOS
2.see BIOS default settings
PRO New Member

Postby tnt » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:57 am

I have heard of a virus that was capable of destroying a floppy drive but i never myself have seen this happen,,,,,usually i would say it could me a IO range conflict between the floppy buss and some other piece of hardware but i have never seen multiple drives it differant computers in differant ereas die like that so maybe use a virus scanner to see if you dont have a virus sitting in your memmory that you dont know about,,,,,i'll keep thinkin about thisone,,,,,,
PRO New Member

Previous

Return to Hardware and Customizing