A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Fixing MBR

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Fixing MBR

Postby nordiquefb » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:09 am

I'm currently running two 500 GB HDD's with two OSes: Windows 7 Professional 64 and Windows Vista Professional 64. I want to format the Windows Vista partition so I can wipe the disc and use it for storage. However, I cannot do this with the Windows 7 utility for formatting. I think this is because the MBR is located on that disk. Would DualBootPRO allow me to fix this problem so that the Windows 7 partition was the one that contained the MBR? Then I could format the other disc. Thanks for your help.
PRO New Member

Re: Fixing MBR

Postby NT50 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:04 pm

Copy the file "bootmgr" and the folder and contents "Boot" to the root of your Win 7 drive.
Disconnect the Vista hard drive.
Insert and boot to the Windows 7 drive and do a Startup Repair, may have to do this two time.
Reboot to make sure Win 7 boots.
Plug back in your Vista drive and make sure the BIOS point to you Win 7 drive as the boot drive.
Format the Vista drive.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems