A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Firewire question

Firewire question

Postby jrcserver1 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:49 am

Long story short, my professional TV camera's firewire port will only work with firewire cards that are based on a Texas Instruments chipset. My laptop's firewire is not based on Texas Instruments.

At the moment I am using a USB capture device but would really like to take advantage of the firewire.

Question is..... does anyone know of some sort of box that will connect via firewire to the laptop, but have a firewire input? My plan is to put this "box" in between the laptop and the camera.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
PRO Level 7

Re: Firewire question

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:12 pm

I'd say see if you can get a Texas Instruments firewire PCI adapter/card, if you motherboard still has a PCI slot...many still have one. PCI as opposed to PCIe but there may just be such a thing for PCIe although I doubt it.

Ah that was quick and easy to find:

http://www.adept.net.au/grabbers/unibra ... epci.shtml

more search results

I don't see a USB Firewire Adapter, but there are combo PCI cards with USB and Firewire. I'd just go for the pure Firewire PCI card.

EDIT1: OOoops you want to use it on a laptop. Probably won't find one for that.

EDIT2: Surprise surprise. See the third one down with the digital video editing kit. Check in Device Manager if you have a PCI slot. Open the + sign at System devices and look for "PCI Bus" and "PCI standard ISO bridge".

Someone else will need to help you with opening your laptop up to physically check, or call the manufacturer of your system.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to Hardware and Customizing