A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Firefox memory leaks

Firefox memory leaks

Postby phileysmiley » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:55 pm

I still don't understand what is up with Firefox's memory leaks. According to the website, improvements in 3.5 include:
Smaller Memory Footprint

Short and sweet, Firefox uses less of your computer’s memory while it’s running.
Memory Management

With a new management function in place, Firefox keeps memory usage under control. The XPCOM cycle collector continuously cleans up unused memory. Plus, hundreds of memory leaks have been remedied

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/fe ... erformance

However, when I started Firefox 3.5.2 on my XP laptop a couple of days ago it opened at about 78,000 KB and after leaving it up for a couple of days it was over 1,000,000 KB. With 2 GB of memory on that PC it was taking up more than half. This was with one tab open. I just restarted it and it's at 90,000 KB.

On my desktop with XP 64 and 3.0.13 installed, FF opens at about 300,000 KB (multiple tabs) and after a couple of days is also close to 1 MB. Just restarted and it's at 422,000 KB.

On another desktop with XP and 3.5.2 installed, after a couple of says with several tabs open, it is only using 141,000 KB.
Media Director

Re: Firefox memory leaks

Postby imnuts » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:14 am

I've had an issue recently with Firefox where the window closes, but the process doesn't and it maintains cookie info for logins that I'd rather not keep stored. It hasn't done it the past couple days, but I know shortly before installing W7 RTM and shortly after doing so, I was having to open task manager and kill it frequently as the close did not work properly.
PRO SUPREME

Re: Firefox memory leaks

Postby phileysmiley » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:16 am

I only close FF using Task Manager. I've been doing it that way for awhile because I found it's the only way I'm guaranteed not to lose my tabs.
Media Director

Return to General Tech Chat