A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Extremely SLOW Start-up

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Extremely SLOW Start-up

Postby SlimKiwi » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:35 am

After installing DualBootPRO and installing the Boot Loader (Vista + W7), all of a sudden W7U 64-bit (Default OS) takes practically forever to Start. The W7 Logo and the 'Starting Windows' message are on the screen and nothing happens (except for the flashing HD light) for about 10 minutes. When things finally get going, everything runs OK and fast, as before today! (since Installing W7 in October). Question: Do the OS Entry #s have to correspond to the location of the OS on the HD (there is only 1 System HD with 3 Primary partitions for W7, Vista and XP). I have been using the previous version VISTA DualBoot without problems. What could be wrong here? Thanks for any suggestions!
PRO New Member

Re: Extremely SLOW Start-up

Postby jbullard » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:15 am

SlimKiwi,

Did this problem just start as of installing the latest version of DBP? If so, then it is probably just a coincidence. DBP is just a utility that helps manage the new boot management process in Windows Vista/7. It is not actually a boot manager and therefore does not have any control over how the system boots.
VP - Software

Postby SlimKiwi » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:21 pm

Yeah, this just started happening yesterday after installing DBP. I find the Entries section to be very confusing, especially about drive letters for Boot drive and MS drive. I'm also confused about whether to specify Vista/W7 or Legacy Boot Loader when both types of OSs exist. Granted, I haven't read through the documentation or this Forum thoroughly yet, so the answer may be lurking somewhere. Meanwhile, I received an email from MS Support about my problem with very detailed options for identifying and fixing the problem. These include rebuilding the bootrec, running SFC and some other things. I'll check this Forum for any further clues and will post the resolution here as well.

I'm also having problems starting the XP OS, after installing a 2nd XP version in another partition. My 1st XP OS now returns an error message: hal.dll file missing or corrupt - please reinstall. The file exists in the C: drive Windows/system32 folder. Entries in the boot.ini file for the XP OSs have partition numbers that appear to be erroneous - don't really know what those should be, though.
PRO New Member

Postby jbullard » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:46 am

The boot drive letters are very weird in the new boot manager. A lot of times in Windows 7/Vista they do not correspond correctly but they are properly configured. For instance, in Windows XP it may say your drive letter might be C: but when you boot to Vista/7, your WinXP might show up as D.

The bootloader, if you want it to be managed by the new method should be Windows 7/Vista. If you want to use the legacy method (boot.ini) then it will remove the new bootloader and revert back to boot.ini. If you choose this, then you will need to open boot.ini and add Windows7/Vista to that file.

That was going to be my next suggestion. If you boot to the Windows 7 DVD, you can go into the Repair screen and choose the option Startup Repair. This will reconfigure your boot manager. It may evern correct the issue.

Did you have to reinstall the 2nd XP OS after you had installed Vista or 7? If so, then using the DVD to do a startup repair should fix the problems. :yesnod:
VP - Software

Return to PRO Software