A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

external hard drive problem

external hard drive problem

Postby scrambledlife » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:53 pm

I used this maxtor external hard drive for last six month and now since last nite everytime I try access it says access denied.I hope I can fix all my downloads r there.I use vista ultimate 64.ty
PRO Level 3

Postby shreader » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:41 am

Is it a USB type of external Hdd?

Do you have another PC you can try accessing it with?
Software Director

Postby scrambledlife » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:30 am

Yes,but same result.And when I check for drivers everything is up to date.Oh,it is One Touch4 5oog hard drive.
PRO Level 3

Postby phileysmiley » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:41 am

This is actually a pretty common problem.

You might want to take a look at this <a href="http://seagate.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/seagate.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5218" target="_blank">Seagate Knowledge Base</a> article (they make Maxtor).
When connecting an external drive to a Windows 2000 Pro, XP, or Vista computer, sometimes the permissions/privileges will need to be assigned. Since the ownership of the files belong to a different user account, you may see "Access Denied" or "Not accessible" errors when trying to open the drive or a folder within the drive.

You also might want to check out <a href="http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/31ad4562-aee7-4fed-8316-89114dc973031033.mspx#E3H" target="_blank">Microsoft Windows Support</a> page on this issue.

You have to take ownership of the folder (drive).
To take ownership of a folder

Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

Click the Security tab, click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

Click Edit. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the name of the person you want to give ownership to.

If you want that person to be the owner of files and subfolders in this folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

Click OK.
Media Director

Postby blodger14 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:52 pm

for future reference, avoid maxtor like the plague, i've had 3, all of which have died within 4 months, but i'm stuck with them because the rma service with ebuyer only gives you money back within 28 days, and after that only replacements.
PRO Level 7

Postby phileysmiley » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:59 pm

blodger14 wrote:for future reference, avoid maxtor like the plague, i've had 3, all of which have died within 4 months, but i'm stuck with them because the rma service with ebuyer only gives you money back within 28 days, and after that only replacements.

I had a Maxtor that died as well. I was using it for my main rig (64-bit). I lost a lot of files. I have a WDC for my 32-bit rig and it's been great.

I do have a new Maxtor now on my laptop but only because I won it in a contest.

But I just bought a new external hdd for the 64-bit rig and and it's a LaCie.
Media Director

Postby scrambledlife » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:45 pm

This means ,this is dead even the computer sees it .
PRO Level 3

Postby phileysmiley » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:48 pm

scrambledlife wrote:This means ,this is dead even the computer sees it .

No, did u follow the posts above?
Media Director

Postby scrambledlife » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:13 pm

Yes I did and it says this file directory or file is corrupt .And ty for helping me.By the way it's seagate it self any better?
PRO Level 3

Postby phileysmiley » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:31 pm

scrambledlife wrote:Yes I did and it says this file directory or file is corrupt .And ty for helping me.By the way it's seagate it self any better?

I think what may have happened here is that you removed the USB cable without clicking "Safely remove hardware." That's the error that you get on an external hard drive if the connection is removed too soon.

What you might need to do at this point is try a file recovery program. There are some good free ones out there. Here is one:

<a href="http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/PC_Inspector_File_Recovery/pcinspector.html" target="_blank">PC Inspector File Recovery</a>

I just went through something like this.

Since the problem was most likely because of an interruption in writing/reading to the hard drive and not a drive failure I don't think there is anything wrong with the device.

If you do want to buy a new one (which I don't think you need to do) then Seagate and Maxtor will likely perform the same way since they are both manufactured by the same company, although some say Seagate is still more reliable. But all hard drives are subject to failure and USB hard drives can become corrupted easily if, like I said, the plug is pulled too soon. Sometimes it's hard to avoid, though. I had a USB drive that I wanted to remove and the "Safely remove hardware" alert never turned off at all so I always had to pull the plug.
Media Director

Next

Return to Hardware and Customizing