A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Expression Engine Questions

Expression Engine Questions

Postby kanaloa » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:45 pm

Continued from this topic:
http://www.pronetworks.org/forum/about1 ... highlight=

Jason, I imagine you'll know about this. I am having trouble figuring these templates out. So I'll try and describe my current setup, and hopefully you can tell me how to do that in EE.

Homepage
--Island Name
----Island Type 1
----Island Type 2
----Island Type 3

I've figured out how to make my custom variable fill in the *index file, but I cannot figure out how to get "Island Type 1" to use the "maui" template group for example, much less the proper template IN that group.

How do I assign templates exactly?
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby kanaloa » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:12 pm

http://expressionengine.com/tutorials/l ... templates/

That seems to make sense, but I clearly still have a lot to learn about this system. Will keep watching these, I just found them.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby jbullard » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:09 pm

Expression Engine, IMO, is the best to date compared to the thousand dollar systems. It looks like you figured it out but templating is pretty easy in that system. You just define the template to use

{my_template_group = "default"}

and that is the one it will use. You can also have multple templates in the same file by declaring multiple template group variables.
VP - Software

Postby kanaloa » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:13 pm

Lord, now the entries I had entered seemed to disappear. And I can't figure out where they went. I have my group and fields tied properly... I think. Lots to learn obviously.
President

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts