A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

ESS Allegro Sound Issues

ESS Allegro Sound Issues

Postby hawnos » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:48 pm

Hi All,

So I did an upgrade install from XP SP2 to Vista RC2 on my laptop (yes, I ghosted my XP environment first!). I ran Vista Beta 2 on this same laptop for awhile but due to the stability issues of B2 I had switched back to XP. With the release of RC2 and its excellent performance on one of my desktops I thought I'd try the laptop again. After install, I had as usual several devices that were "banged out" in device manager. Among these were a modem, a wireless mini pci and an ess allegro integrated audio. I pointed Vista at a folder containing XP drivers for each device and it proceeded to install each one. All three devices listed above were functioning properly.

That is, until a reboot. Immediately after driver installation for the ESS Allegro sound card, everything worked fine. But as soon as I reboot, the device comes up disabled with a "Code 10: Device could not start" error in device manager. If I remove the device and reinstall the drivers, it once again works fine -- until a reboot. No matter what I do, one reboot after driver installation the device gets disabled and won't work until I wash, rinse and repeat so-to-speak.

In Beta 2, I used the same XP drivers for this sound card and it worked perfectly fine across reboots etc. Since the card works fine after initial installation in RC2, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work after a reboot.

This is driving me crazy! Any ideas? Things to try? Thanks in advance!
PRO Level 3

Return to General Windows Support