A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Enough reason to update the BIOS?

Enough reason to update the BIOS?

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:08 am

I think so. Not that it seems necessary but these look like fairly major updates:

Blitz Extreme BIOS 0904
1. Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
2. Finetune CPU frequency calculation algorithm
3. Finetune HDD size detection algorithm
4. Improved FSB overclocking ability.
5. Improved DRAM performance.
6. Finetune DRAM frequency detection algorithm

The file size (extracted) is 2 MB so using a floppy is out :-? Kinda scary because I don't really trust the Windows based BIOS update utilities :eek:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:15 am

An excellent question Graham and one that I can't answer for you. I basically go by 'If it ain't broke...) Flashing one's BIOS is not the best thing to do, I know you realize this but others may not. I haven't flashed this one in over two years, A8N-E. Maybe time to look though?
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby Absolute-Zero » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:42 am

I've regularly re-flashed the BIOS in my machine, especially if the update includes amendments and additions such as the ones you've listed above, Graham. Also, I ALWAYS use the Windows flash programs (mainly because I have no floppy disks) and I've not run into a single problem yet.

I know there are others out there who have but I can only assume that they're doing something wrong (or maybe have a corrupt download but any good flash program should check the integrity of the image before it performs the flash). My normal procedure is to re-flash, reboot and let the machine get past post (but not into the Windows start up menu) then reboot again and set the BIOS parameters back to how I'd like them. To be even safer you can always reset the BIOS to factory defaults before you flash, just make sure you keep a note of all those options you've changed.
PROfessional Member

Postby imnuts » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:20 pm

Most motherboards can boot from USB media now. Anyway you can make a USB drive bootable, put the files on it from a DOS floppy and use that to update BIOS?
PRO SUPREME

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:07 am

Yeah that would work actually Mark :yesnod: As it is I downloaded the latest update utility for XP and gave it a go. It worked fine and I had to then reset the BIOS to my preferred settings as the update took them to the defaults.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to General Tech Chat