A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Duplicate W7 installation

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Duplicate W7 installation

Postby PietjePuk » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:45 pm

I need to duplicate my W7Pro installation so I have one to boot to do one thing (Work) and one to boot to do something else (Private).
It is on the same machine so no different Hardware and no separate registration of the OS. The OS is installed on disk0 which has a total of 160Gb.
I have shrinked that partition to 75Gb and created a backup of the BCD and the OS partition using Symantec Backup Recovery. After that I installed my registered DualBootPRO but there I get stuck. This is not my comfort-zone at all. DualBootPRO has it's reputation so I bought it. But looking at it I can not really the hang of it, next to I not really understand which steps to take and in what order.
Hope you can provide a sort of step-by-step guide on this?
Much appriciated!
PRO New Member

Re: Duplicate W7 installation

Postby NT50 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:56 pm

You will now need to install Win 7 on the second partition.........................................

You coudl also use Acronis to image the first partition and then image it to the second partition. This coudl be complicated tho.
Your best bet is to install Win 7 on the second partition.................
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby PietjePuk » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:30 am

Hi NT50,

Thx. I hear what you say. But what about activating the W7 installation? Basically it is the same machine/hw. At the time, my approach seemed to be the easiest way.
Symantec Backup System Recovery is "the same" as Acronis. It creates backup-images like Ghost/Acronis and has a lot off additional stuff which are off-topic here.
So I have tried to restore [Work] to the [Private] partition. That worked fine. When I restart using the [Work] partition, the [Private] partition is assigned a drive letter which I do not want and could not change/remove. When [Work] is active, the [Private] should not be part and visa-verse.
And how to make it to appear in the boot-menu using ? And how to get it to be assigned the C: drive?

Hope you can spare me some more time here...

Thx
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:07 pm

I'm familiar with Ghost imaging software also. I jsut prefer Acronis.
You will ahve a hard time gettign aroudn not having the driver letters assigned to each system. You will ahve to use a third party program in order to hide the partitions.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems