A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

DualBootPRO with SATA Drives

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

DualBootPRO with SATA Drives

Postby bugsnacker » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:06 am

HI

I'm trying to get a dual boot system up and running using two separate drives. I have 2 SATA drives. SATA 1 has Vista and SATA 2 has Win7. I have installed DualBoot PRO on SATA 1(C:/ Drive) and nominated Vista as my default OS and Win7 (H:/ Drive) as the other O.S. When starting up, the Bootloader menu displays the two choices correctly but if I choose Win7 the system displays an error telling me that the O.S may not be installed correctly. However if I swap the drives over (i.e swap the SATA cables) and reboot, Win7 boots up with no problems showing there is nothing wrong with the installation

What's going on? Anyone got any ideas

Mike
PRO New Member

Re: DualBootPRO with SATA Drives

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:10 am

The Vista and Windows 7 boot environments are inter-compatible, but not *exactly* identical, and it is generally better to perform these operations from within Windows 7.

It sounds as though your two installations may have created two separate boot environments, however you cannot perfectly manage the W7 boot from Vista because W7 setup may create a special boot partition that Vista cannot access.

In your shoes, I would set up the computer so that W7 can boot as you described, and then use DualBootPRO to create the desired dual boot setup from there.
PRO VETERAN

Re: DualBootPRO with SATA Drives

Postby bugsnacker » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:45 pm

Hi JabbaPaapa

I took your advice and it worked perfectly. Both now boot as expected. You are a legend!!!! (Hopefully not the Will Smith type :-) )

Cheers

Mike
New Zealand
PRO New Member

Return to PRO Software