A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

DUALBOOT AND DRIVE SYSTEM LETTER

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

DUALBOOT AND DRIVE SYSTEM LETTER

Postby BO_T » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:26 pm

Hi !

I think Dualbootpro is certainly the good tool to help me to solve my problem; I tried to find some ideas searching through forums but without success !

- initial system Vista on C:

- new windows 7 system installed from Vista

- dualboot is working well excepted with Vista my drive system letter is C: but with W 7 it is e: and both partitions c: & e: are always active ! I think the right way would be with Vista or W7 drive system letter c: only and only one is active at the same time !

- Am I right? If not, thanks for explanations about the right way ! If yes thanks in advance for helping me to solve this problem !

Thanks a lot !

Regards

BO_T
PRO New Member

Re: DUALBOOT AND DRIVE SYSTEM LETTER

Postby jbullard » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:50 pm

BO_T,

In Vista/Win 7, the drive letters can be very confusing as you are learning. There is nothing wrong with the system but the new boot manager for some reason will change the drive letter based off the drive/partition offset. So, if I have Vista on HD(0) Partition(0) and Win7 on HD(0) Partiton(1), depending on which system I boot I could be presented with C:/D: or C:/E:. However, you can easily change the drive letter but a few things have to happen first:

1. Change the drive letter in Disk management

2. Change the drive letter in Advanced Settings within DBP

However, I would suggest leaving them how they are as I have seen many systems not take to the changes.

Jason
VP - Software

Postby NT50 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:32 pm

Also: did you install Windows 7 while in Vista? Or did you boot from the DVD and install Windows 7?
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby BO_T » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:37 am

Thanks for your answers !

A precision: I installed W7 from Vista not with a boot DVD !

No trouble keeping a drive system letter which is not c:? I thought it was not a good idea!

BO_T
PRO New Member

Postby BO_T » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:02 am

...another precision: Vista is installed on HD 0 (c:) and W7 on HD 1 (e:)!

I can't anyway change the drive letter e: to c: for the W7 system ! From W7 I can change the drive letter of c: to another letter to get letter c: free but after it's not possible to change e: to c: when e: is the system ! From Vista c: is the system so it's no more possible to change letter e: to c: !

Thanks in advance for your help, any idea... !

BO_T
PRO New Member

Return to PRO Software