A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual XP/Vista reformat Vista only

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Dual XP/Vista reformat Vista only

Postby rainman1962 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:42 am

I used VistaBootPRO to install XP on one physical drive and Vista on another. I would like to re-install Vista. What is the best way to do this? What if I just disconnected the XP drive. Would this be the best approach?
PRO Level 2

Re: Dual XP/Vista reformat Vista only

Postby rainman1962 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:47 am

Any ideas?
PRO Level 2

Postby kanaloa » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:18 pm

Sorry for the delay, some of our support staff are currently out.

Can you still boot into Vista currently? Or can you only boot into XP? If you can only boot into XP, then I'd do a clean installation of Windows Vista so you'll get access to the BCDEdit file again. Then you can recover your XP installation (see below) using VistaBootPRO (DualBootPRO).

This guide may be of use until one of our support folks can respond to your inquiry in more detail:
reinstalling-windows-xp-when-dual-booting-with-windows-vista-t88193.html

Again, I apologize for the delay in the responses.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby shreader » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:49 pm

I have done this many times, most recently w/ Windows 7.

What I do is >leave all the hard drives connected< boot from the Win7/Vista DVD and choose a custom installation, format the Hard drive using the DVD (advanced button) and install the Win7/Vista OS again.

Make sure you format the correct hard drive, I have mine named by the OS so its easy for me but some people don't do this & its not clear sometimes that they got the correct one.
Software Director

Postby rainman1962 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:48 am

Thank you very much for your reply. If I use my Vista disk to reformat my Vista drive, will I loose access to my XP drive. I used BootPro previously to generate a menu when booting up where I choose either Vista or XP (it was a couple years ago so I forget the process). I currently have access to both XP and Vista.

If this is correct, than what are the steps to get the boot menu to give me back access to XP?

Thanks
PRO Level 2

Postby shreader » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:59 pm

You should not have any problem booting into XP after you format & install Vista again, using the Vista DVD.

BTW is Vista or XP your system drive in Disk Management?

If anything unexpected happens please post here again :yesnod:
Software Director

Postby rainman1962 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:39 am

Thanks for your response. Vista is my system drive. Does this change anything?
PRO Level 2

Postby shreader » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:26 pm

It shouldn't, but you may have to replace any root files there that XP needs to boot.
I'd suggest taking a screenshot of the Vista "Root" (& saving it somewhere in XP) so you can see what was there after installing Vista again incase you have a problem.
Software Director

Postby rainman1962 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:54 am

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I am finally getting around to reformatting the Vista drive (drive 0, system). The XP drive (drive 1) is working fine. Sorry if I am a little anal but I don't want to screw this up. Feel free to correct whatever below and add anything you think might clarify the process.

1. Boot off of the Vista disk and reinstall Vista on drive 0
2. I suspect that I will not have access to XP after the reinstall of Vista since the ntldr, boot.ini and ntdetect.com files will no longer be there (aren't these XP files that are not in the Vista root?).
3. Should I copy them onto a thumb drive or something and then, after Vista boots up copy them over to Vista?
4. Do I need to do anything with VistaBootPro afterwards? If so, what?

Thanks for your help!

PS the Guide that was referenced in the first response talks about reformatting XP rather than Vista so not sure if it applied to me.

Jeff
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:41 pm

Backup those XP boot system files (ntldr, boot.ini and NTDETECT.COM) and restore them to the Vista drive/partition after reinstalling Vista. As they are on the Vista partition which as you state is tagged the (System) partition this will be necessary.

Use DBP/VBP to reinstall the Vista bootloader and you should then have your dual boot back.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems