A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual booting WinXP (1) Win7RC (2) boot time fs question

Dual booting WinXP (1) Win7RC (2) boot time fs question

Postby fuzzynco » Sat May 09, 2009 3:14 am

I created a taget partition (100gb) as disk0(part2) on my laptop, then installed the RC DVD (from the ISO) to it.
I used VistaBootPRO to set the XP partition as the default OS in the BCD. I'm assuming its Master Boot Record -> Vista boot -> XP boot,
that way? Everytime I reboot, I see the boot time dskchk complains the vista (win7) partition needs to be checked and finds
a bunch of problems with indexes it fixes. So far all I've installed is VistaBootPRO which says that the BCD is not backed up,
but not where to find it to back it up. I don't use or know anything about Vista other than M$ changed what the insides of
vista's flavor of NTFS is to confuse XP flavor. I did note that when I hibernate Win7 then resume i don't get asked which OS to boot.
When I Boot in Win7 VistaBootPRO thinks the boot partition is hidden (maybe its looking at the OS versiuon data?).

I'm guessing the FS unclean thing is due to Vista's NTFS not being downward compatable with XP's
kind of like :argue; . Is there any easy way to hide the Win7 partition from XP so they can co-exist?

I'm just testing with Win7 so XP is my real OS. SecurAble reports Intel's Hardware Virtualization.
Can I run XPM to run the few programs I know don't run in Vista? Does it's VM support a real HD
or do I have to reinstall XP,and then those apps? The laptop has 4gb ram, (XP win32 only sees 3gb,
Win7 win64 sees it all). Would the XPM VM be shielded from the Win7 partition to avoid the same thing?
Would it bridge ethernet to connect for stuff like windows update and antivirus etc?

Thanks
Attachments
SecurAble.jpg
SecurAble.jpg (67.56 KiB) Viewed 474 times
PRO New Member

Re: Dual booting WinXP (1) Win7RC (2) boot time fs question

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat May 09, 2009 5:51 am

Legacy and Vista/W7 NTFS can happily cohabit, but issues can occur if you use older 3rd party partitioning software. Vista/W7 partitions should either be created with the native Windows partition management tools, or using software guaranteed to work with the new NTFS such as Paragon Partition Manager 8.5 or later.
PRO VETERAN

Return to General Windows Support