A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Boot XP Pro + Win7

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Dual Boot XP Pro + Win7

Postby gyster » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:08 pm

I apologize that I haven't found any posts that I've been confident in following to solve my dual boot problem. It seems many of these posts are very similar, but the issues are fairly complex. I have installed, reinstalled, and repaired the OS's so many times on my system, that I'm not sure where I'm at. I started with this setup: Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro, Q9550, 4x1gb ram, ATI Fire GL V5200, AT/IDE 160gb, SATA 74 gb, SATA 400 gb, XP Pro installed on the 74g HD. Since then, I have moved XP to the 160gb drive, and installed Win7 on the 74 gb drive. At the moment, I can only boot to Win7. In Bios I have: Primary Master - CD ROM, Pri. Slave 160gb hd, 3rd master 74gb hd, 3rd slave 400gb hd. Under the boot tab in bios I have: 1st 160gb hd, 2nd 74gb hd, 3rd 400gb hd. Boot priority is set to USB DVD, 160gb hd, and disabled. I purchased and installed VBP 3.3 on Win7, and when I boot, I have 3 options: Win7, ramdisk options, and XP. I created the XP choice. In Disk mgmt. I'm attaching a screen shot of Disk Mgmt. in Win7. Here is the summary screen from VBP:There is currently 3 OS(s) installed on your system.
The current boot timeout is: 30

Default OS: Windows 7

Entry 1
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Boot Drive: C:
Windows Drive: C:
System Bootloader: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry 2
Name: Windows Recovery Environment
BCD ID: {c517f54c-0a12-11de-a0c3-eeecfad62bf6}
Boot Drive: :]\Recovery\c517f54c-0a12-11de-a0c3-eeecfad62bf6\Winre.wim,{c517f54d-0a12-11de-a0c3-eeecfad62bf6}
Windows Drive: :]\Recovery\c517f54c-0a12-11de-a0c3-eeecfad62bf6\Winre.wim,{c517f54d-0a12-11de-a0c3-eeecfad62bf6}
System Bootloader: \windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \windows

Entry 3
Name: XP
BCD ID: {ntldr}
Boot Drive: D:

System Bootloader: \ntldr

And disk management:
Disk Mgmt.JPG
Disk Mgmt.JPG (76.24 KiB) Viewed 3506 times

I appreciate the time it takes to help, and so it is sincerely appreciated.
PRO New Member

Re: Dual Boot XP Pro + Win7

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:05 pm

Your drive configuration is not ideal, with a logical drive as Partition 1 on Disk 0 and a mix of IDE and SATA drives muddles things even further.

If your data is secure and backed up, and since your installations are both fresh, I'd suggest you follow the generally recommended procedure and first install Windows XP to a primary partition on Partition 1 Disk 0 and then follow that with the installation of Windows 7 to any other drive/partition. This way Windows 7 should auto create a dual boot to both operating systems as it will find the Windows XP boot info and place it's own boot system files on the same drive/partition as Windows XP.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby gyster » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:25 pm

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply Grav!ty. I've backed everything up to an external sata drive, so I should be good there. Should I format patition 2 Disk 0 to remove XP, and format Disk 1 to remove Win7 before installing XP on partition 1 Disk 0 as you have suggested?
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:58 pm

gyster wrote:Thank you for taking the time to read and reply Grav!ty. I've backed everything up to an external sata drive, so I should be good there. Should I format patition 2 Disk 0 to remove XP, and format Disk 1 to remove Win7 before installing XP on partition 1 Disk 0 as you have suggested?

Actually it would be best to delete the partitions that XP and Windows 7 are on then create and format them during the installation of each respective OS.

I believe that drive 0 is also your IDE drive so it is the one that you want to install XP on which is what I believe you have done in the past anyway, and like Graham said install XP first.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby gyster » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:22 pm

Thanks yeshuas, you are correct - that is where each OS is installed now.

Here goes....

Thank you both for the help!
PRO New Member

Postby gyster » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:46 pm

Thanks yeshuas and Grav!ty,

I followed your advice, and everything went off without a hitch! Both OS installed and updated - no problems!

Many thanks...
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:57 pm

Glad to hear it all got worked out for you, and thank you for coming back and letting us know. ^*^
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Return to PRO Software