A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual boot windows vista and XP

Re: Dual boot windows vista and XP

Postby tritris » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:06 pm

Thanks for your help, I did the process and I have the screen to ask with one OS want to boot, when I select XP said that the file:\ntldr is missing and doesn't boot from xp.
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:14 pm

tritris wrote:Thanks for your help, I did the process and I have the screen to ask with one OS want to boot, when I select XP said that the file:\ntldr is missing and doesn't boot from xp.

Do the process again to unhide files and folders and operating system files etc. and locate the file ntldr, then copy and paste it to the root directory of the other partition
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby tritris » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:28 pm

I did the process to show the hide files and the rest but still doesn't show me those files, but thanks anyway, I apreciate your help.
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:46 pm

Do you have files and things on either partition that you need?

If you don't have anything that you need, you can reinstall both OS's and create a dual boot if that is what you want. Just be sure to install XP first and use it to create both partitions.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby sunirms » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:16 pm

hi tetris

If you xp after you install vista, you wouldnt get the boot screen which shows the two versions of os installed on your comp. To restore it follow the following steps.

CAUSE
These issues occur because earlier versions of the Windows operating system are incompatible with the new Windows Vista startup method. Windows Vista uses a new Boot Configuration Database (BCD) store. This store contains a boot menu and all the information about operating systems that are installed on the computer. Therefore, a Boot.ini file that is from an earlier version of the Windows operating system cannot be used to start Windows Vista.

In earlier versions of the Windows operating system that run on a basic input/output system (BIOS)-based computer, such as Windows XP, the boot process starts with the system BIOS. The BIOS determines the boot device, and then loads the first physical sector. This physical sector is named the master boot record (MBR). The MBR contains the partition table and the necessary boot execution code. This code searches the partition table to find the active partition and passes control to the boot sector on the active partition. Then, the boot sector on the active partition loads the Ntldr program. The Ntldr program parses the Boot.ini file. This file is used to enumerate the operating systems that are installed.

When Windows Vista starts on a BIOS-based computer, the BIOS loads the MBR and then loads the boot sector. However, boot code loads the new Windows Boot Manager program (Bootmgr). The Windows Boot Manager program parses the Boot Configuration Data file, enumerates the installed operating systems, and then displays the boot menu. If an earlier version of the Windows operating system is installed in a dual-boot configuration with Windows Vista, the Windows Boot Manager program transfers control to the Ntldr program for the earlier version of the Windows operating system. The Windows Boot Manager program does this when you select Windows Vista from the boot menu.

When you install an earlier version of the Windows operating system on a Windows Vista-based computer, Setup overwrites everything from the MBR, the boot sector, and the boot files. Therefore, the earlier version the Windows operating system loses forward compatibility with Windows Vista.
RESOLUTION
To resolve these issues, follow these steps.

1.Insert your vista dvd and restart your comp and boot from the dvd. click on repair my comp

2.Select the operating system and then click on next

3.click on command prompt

4.make sure you know the drive letter of the dvd. To find out type drive letter in command prompt.

e.g: c: amd enter would bring up c: drive
hit dir and it will show you the folders in c: drive

Most of the times it is E:
if you enter dir after e:
it would bring up dvd drive at the top

5.once thats done and if you are in the dvd drive, type cd boot and then hit enter

6: type in the following commands one by one and hit enter. Evry command should return successfully

Bootsect /NT60 All
Bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Microsoft windows xp professional" (after entering this command if you encounter any error, type the command at the bottom highlighted as *** and then follow with the ones below)

Bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition= c:
Bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr
Bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast

***bcdedit /delete {ntldr} -f

7. restart your computer.

This will fix the issue.
PRO New Member

Previous

Return to General Windows Support