A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual boot Windows 7 (primary) XP (secondary) on two drives

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Dual boot Windows 7 (primary) XP (secondary) on two drives

Postby mcstamper » Sat May 22, 2010 12:07 pm

Hi. I have a gateway FX-7026. I had Vista home installed on my primary SATA boot device (a 1 1tb drive) and XP installed on my second SATA device (a 320gb drive). Both operating systems booted fine if I hit F10 when cold-booting. Hitting F10 is a bios feature that allows me to specify which drive to boot from at cold start.

I installed the Windows 7 home VISTA upgrade with my XP drive attached. The VISTA upgrade went flawlessly. I expected windows 7 to note that I also had XP on the second drive. I expected that I would get a windows boot menu. That did not happen.

I bought your product because I wanted a normal boot sequence with a menu. I want to choose to boot either on the primary (windows 7) or secondary (XP) drive. I can't figure out how to make that happen with your product. Can you help? Did I just waste $9? Thanks.
PRO New Member

Re: Dual boot Windows 7 (primary) XP (secondary) on two drives

Postby shreader » Sat May 22, 2010 1:23 pm

So do you now just boot directly into Windows7?

Since you never had the boot menu w/ your previous Vista/XP install you'll have to set it up.

Check this guide
Dual Boot Trouble Shooting Guide - XP / Windows 7 Running
Software Director

Return to Windows Boot Problems