A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

dual boot window 7 and Vista on different drives

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

dual boot window 7 and Vista on different drives

Postby williambog » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:59 am

I was running Vista (64) and order a new drive to install window 7 (64) on when the drive can it did not have an sata cable so installed window 7 on the new drive by removing the cable that supported the vista drive. Now if I want to run window 7 or vista I have to make that drive sata 0. I have gotten a extra cable and both drives are seen by both OS's. I do not want to keep switching the cable to change OS's. Will DualBootPro fix this problem without having to reinstalling any OS. If it can fix this condition which OS should I install DualBootPro on.
PRO New Member

Re: dual boot window 7 and Vista on different drives

Postby shreader » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:29 am

The easiest way to fix that is by plugging both HDDs in at the same time & boot off the Windows 7 DVD & choose Repair, instead of install. Then choose Startup repair.
You may need to do this more than once to get it working w/ the boot manager showing up to choose which OS to boot from.

DBP can assist you (among other things) changing the boot menu time & renaming the OSs as they appear in the boot menu.
Software Director

Return to Windows Boot Problems