A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Boot Win7 and XP installed on 2 HDDs

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Dual Boot Win7 and XP installed on 2 HDDs

Postby kassew » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:48 pm

My system has a main HDD with Win7 loaded. It has a second HDD with XP loaded. The second HDD was the old HDD that was replaced; it is still perfectly functional. I installed DBP, added XP as an additional OS and loaded the boot on all drives. Nothing happens. Please advise.

Wk
PRO New Member

Re: Dual Boot Win7 and XP installed on 2 HDDs

Postby kassew » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:05 pm

I have been able to get XP to show up now at boot up. However, it will not boot to XP. It will boot to win7 if selected, just not xp. Closer?
PRO New Member

Re: Dual Boot Win7 and XP installed on 2 HDDs

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:14 pm

It looks like you need to copy and paste the boot system files of XP (ntldr, boot.ini and NTDETECT.COM) to the partition tagged (System Reserved) as per disk management, on the Windows 7 disk.

Check out this guide for how to do that and then post if you need any further help or to let us know how you get on:

install-windows-xp-in-dual-boot-with-pre-installed-windows-7-t112568.html

Although you have two disks and guide is for one, the procedure is exactly the same.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to PRO Software