A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Boot Win7 64 onto XP

Dual Boot Win7 64 onto XP

Postby Krossbolt » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi All,

First time poster.

I'm currently running a RAID5 array on an AMD 750 South Bridge software.

XP Pro is on my system partiton (installed first) and I've been running Win7 RC 32bit on another partition very stable and no issues for six months.

Recently I bought Win7 Home Premium and decided to format the Win7 RC partition and install Win7 64 HP.
I was able to format and install OK but on the first setup reboot I noticed the new installation had modified the boot loader (changed names of OS and amended the timeout) and the new installation of windows failed on loading.
The error was along the lines of - "Driver ahci64 can't verify, not digitally signed".
I read a lot about this error and concluded it might be just a boot setup problem i.e. Win7 boot files not on the XP partition. I have VistaPro so intend to copy files and force install, but before I do...

Is Win7 64bit compatible with XP 32 as a dual boot setup?
Is it likely trying to install Win7 64 on software RAID will fail?

I'm just wondering whether Win7 64 maybe "a bridge too far" and I'm better off installing Win7 32.

EDIT:
Found this;
It is a known issue in Windows 7 that if you install Windows 7 from booting a DVD (as opposed to starting the installation from within a current Windows installation), that Windows 7 will not assign a drive letter to active system partition. This can be corrected by manually assigning a drive letter through the Disk Manager in the Computer Management console, or to prevent it from happening, install Windows 7 from within a running Windows Vista installation.
Is this likely problem?
PRO New Member

Re: Dual Boot Win7 64 onto XP

Postby NT50 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:51 pm

There shoudl be no problem installing Win 7 64 bit and XP.
If you purchased VistaBootPro you can upgrade to DualBootPro that has just been released.
Below is a guide using VistaBootPro w/ Vista and XP. Vista and Win7 use the same procedure for booting.

Dual Boot Trouble Shooting Guide / Vista Running

I will be publishing this weekend a new guide using DualBootPro with Windows 7 and XP.

One thing that COULD be giving you an issue is the RAID 5 setup.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Return to General Windows Support