A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual boot Win 8 with secure boot UEFI enabled

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Dual boot Win 8 with secure boot UEFI enabled

Postby alanhos » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:39 am

Greetings,

Following the instructions herein I've successfully installed and run DBP 1.1 on my windows 8 system. On a separate HD is my window 7 ultimate install which was working fine. When I added the boot instructions to the primary Win 8 boot which is UEFI, it boots with the Win 7 style boot screen and correctly offers the two boot options. However, if not selecting the Win 8 boot option the boot fails and I get a UEFI error screen.

I'm very close <smile> hopefully the fix is obvious.

Cheers,
Alan

I managed to get the BCD ID for the Win 7 disk by excluding the windows boot loader on startup and booting directly from my old Win 7 HD. I've attached the screen shots from DBP 1.1 to indicate it thinks that the boot records are correct.

When re-attempting to boot with UEFI enable using the window boot loader it generates the following error:

error = 0xc0000428

Digital signature for this file couldn't be verified.

Apparently BCD 1.1 is not set up to generate this signature. Can you direct me how to do this manually?

Cheers,
Alan
Attachments
BCD-OS.PNG
BCD-OS.PNG (111.12 KiB) Viewed 6065 times
DBP-INFO.PNG
DBP-INFO.PNG (109.9 KiB) Viewed 6065 times
PRO New Member

Re: Dual boot Win 8 with secure boot UEFI enabled

Postby yeshuas » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:39 pm

Did you unplug the Windows 7 disk when you installed Windows 8?

If so, going to the Bootloader tab in DBP and place a check in the "System Bootloader to install Windows Vista or Windows 7," and also in the the one that says "All Drives" may correct this problem.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby alanhos » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi Daniel,

Yes, all drives were in place...unmodified, when I installed Windows 8. It took me two installs and a BIOS update before I recognized that to install Windows 8 with secure boot I needed to have formatted the target drive as GPT and use the motherboard GPU as the VGA boot graphics. Lots of little issues not documented by Asus for their P8Z77-V Pro, or by Microsoft.

The Windows 7 dual-booted fine with Windows 8 before I enabled UEFI. Afterwards, I boot fine into Windows 8. If I select Windows 7 the screen blanks and it tries to boot, but then I get that "Digital signature for this file couldn't be verified" error from the Windows boot loader. It apparently needs a signature that is not yet generated.

I'm happy to do some tests for you. I'm off-site today but will send you the results of a test tomorrow evening.

Cheers,
Alan
PRO New Member

Postby alanhos » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi again,

Apparently the UEFI specification supports dual booting.
The UEFI specification defines a "boot manager", a firmware policy engine that is in charge of loading the OS loader and all necessary drivers. The boot configuration is controlled by a set of global NVRAM variables, including boot variables that indicate the paths to the loaders.

OS loaders are a class of UEFI applications. As such, they are stored as files on a file system that can be accessed by the firmware. Supported file systems include FAT32, FAT16 and FAT12. Supported partition table schemes include MBR and GPT. UEFI does not rely on a boot sector.

Boot loaders can also be auto-detected by firmware, to enable booting on removable devices. Auto-detection relies on a standardized file path to the OS loader, depending on the actual architecture to boot (\EFI\BOOT\BOOT[architecture name].EFI, e.g. \EFI\BOOT\BOOTx64.EFI).

It is common for UEFI firmware to include a user interface to the boot manager, to allow the user to select and load the operating system among the possible options.

Given this, ASUS apparently does allow the identification of multiple boots in its UEFI driver support for their P8Z77-V Pro. I am truly out of my depth here. Also apparently not many people have tried to dual boot Win 7 & 8 on a system with UEFI. I say this because I find no references to the issue in a Google search. This will no-doubt change on the 26th.

Cheers,
Alan
PRO New Member

Postby alanhos » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:32 pm

This person apparenly was dual booting a UEFI enabled PC with Win 7 and 8 both installd on the same hard disk.

http://superuser.com/questions/460762/how-can-i-repair-the-windows-8-efi-bootloader

Cheers,
Alan
PRO New Member

Postby shreader » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:04 pm

It sounds like it’s a BIOS problem, maybe it should just uncheck the UEFI in the BIOS until ASUS has a BIOS that will work w/ this new setup?

Also sounds like the new EUFI BIOS still needs more development to work properly.

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0085430229 ... gsc.page=1

HTH
Software Director

Postby yeshuas » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:47 pm

The system in my signature has the UEFI BIOS and I don't see a place to enable or disable secure boot, one can change it's mode from EZ mode to Advanced mode, enable both UEFI and Legacy to boot, or disable one or the other.

I installed Windows 7 X64 and X86 along with Windows 8 X64, without issue.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby yeshuas » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:50 am

yeshuas wrote:The system in my signature has the UEFI BIOS and I don't see a place to enable or disable secure boot, one can change it's mode from EZ mode to Advanced mode, enable both UEFI and Legacy to boot, or disable one or the other.

I installed Windows 7 X64 and X86 along with Windows 8 X64, without issue.

Duh mine is set to boot both either or UEFI and or Legasy bios under Security in the boot section, so if you set yours to the same as mine you should be able to boot fine, alanhos
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Return to Windows Boot Problems