A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Boot Trouble Shooting Guide / Vista Running

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Re: Dual Boot Trouble Shooting Guide / Vista Running

Postby trek » Fri May 01, 2009 6:16 pm

Hi, I finally got dual boot working - Vista Home Premium 64 came pre-installed. No Vista Disk - just a recovery partition from which I made Recovery Disks. I wanted to dual boot with XP Pro 32 because even some pretty new stuff won't work in Vista 64. Mostly from reading this Forum I now have both OSes working perfectly and VBP is a dream. BUT, Vista will not boot if I tell the BIOS that I have IDE Disks and XP won't boot if I tell the BIOS that I have SATA disks. It is an Intel ICH9 SATA Raid Controller and the driver will not install when I am in XP saying "the computer does not meet the minimum requirements" - presumably because the disks are in IDE mode at the time. Apparently the driver has to be installed during a re-install of XP using F6. I tried that - XP Install asks for a FLOPPY - which my computer does not have !!!

It works but is highly inconvenient as I have to change the BIOS every time I swap OSes. Also, I have to try to remember where I left the BIOS every time I switch on again. Any ideas?

Thanks

Patrick
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri May 01, 2009 6:36 pm

trek wrote:Hi, I finally got dual boot working - Vista Home Premium 64 came pre-installed. No Vista Disk - just a recovery partition from which I made Recovery Disks. I wanted to dual boot with XP Pro 32 because even some pretty new stuff won't work in Vista 64. Mostly from reading this Forum I now have both OSes working perfectly and VBP is a dream. BUT, Vista will not boot if I tell the BIOS that I have IDE Disks and XP won't boot if I tell the BIOS that I have SATA disks. It is an Intel ICH9 SATA Raid Controller and the driver will not install when I am in XP saying "the computer does not meet the minimum requirements" - presumably because the disks are in IDE mode at the time. Apparently the driver has to be installed during a re-install of XP using F6. I tried that - XP Install asks for a FLOPPY - which my computer does not have !!!

It works but is highly inconvenient as I have to change the BIOS every time I swap OSes. Also, I have to try to remember where I left the BIOS every time I switch on again. Any ideas?

Thanks

Patrick

Get or borrow a USB floppy drive and install the XP F6 SATA drivers is one suggestion. I'm a bit surprised that XP asks for drivers on the Intel ICH9 Controller because mine doesn't need drivers for XP. What Service Pack does you XP install disk have?

Another suggestion would be to use nLite to integrate the SATA controller drivers into your XP installation CD. They have comprehensive guides on their site to help with that

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Fri May 01, 2009 8:54 pm

If I'm not mistaken he can go ahead and install the SATA drivers while XP is in use with the IDE. Reboot and change back to SATA and then start to XP. I have seen this work in the past; this way he will not have to reinstall XP
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby trek » Wed May 06, 2009 9:25 am

Thanks for the advice. I had already slipstreamed SP3 onto the XP install disk using Nlite. I had also put the ICH9R drivers on there but in .exe form - I need to get the .inf on to the disk. I think I can see a way to do that via a combination of advice on the Nlite and Intel (anagram!!) sites. I did try installing the SATA drivers while in XP and IDE mode but it refuses to install saying "computer does not meet the minimum requirements." So yet another XP re-install coming up! I will let you know how it went. Thanks again.

Trek
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Wed May 06, 2009 2:58 pm

You can use a program like Winrar or I use a freebie called 7zip some to look in the exe file and extract what you need.

EDIT: You might can try the command switch -x or /x, I can't remember after the exe file to extract them.
PROfessional Member

Postby comrau00 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:01 am

Hi there, Would a new one like me be welcome here?
Thanks so much in deed.

Edit: NT50
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:32 pm

comrau00 wrote:Hi there, Would a new one like me be welcome here?
Thanks so much in deed.

Edit: NT50

Your welcome here but do NOT put HIDDEN links in your post.
PROfessional Member

reinstalled vista and lost xp partition

Postby kgrmusic » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:32 am

i had vista boot pro running for bout a year.

I had vista on a partition C/ and XP on D/.

I got a virus and had to reformat my Vista partition, but now im trying to access my XP with no avail.

Im running on vista and have followed all the steps but have some questions.

First, i cant find the three files anywhere even though i can see all hidden files and have unchecked the hide operating system files button.

Second, once i do find them, where do i paste and how do i use vista boot pro to be able to gain access to XP again?

Any help will be appreciated,
Thnx
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:40 am

You can get ntldr and NTDETECT from your XP disc.
You can create boot.ini simply from a text editor like notepad, just make sure it does not default the .txt file extension.
As for the boot.ini, you can actually use the test from my boot.ini on the first page and make the necessary changes.

The files will need to be locked in the root of your system/boot drive/partition. You can view it from the disk manager in Vista.
PROfessional Member

Postby kgrmusic » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:02 pm

What should i do if i cant find my XP disk??
PRO New Member

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Boot Problems