A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Boot Basic Question W7/XP

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Dual Boot Basic Question W7/XP

Postby RobS » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:58 am

I have a SATA drive with a single partition running XP (old drive). I purchased a new HD and loaded Windows7 (new drive), again with only one partition. My question is: can I put my old drive back into the second drive bay and use DualBootPro to boot into the old XP drive should I need to use it from time to time? Is there a specific procedure that outlines the required steps? Thanks!
PRO New Member

Re: Dual Boot Basic Question W7/XP

Postby yeshuas » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:35 pm

RobS wrote:I have a SATA drive with a single partition running XP (old drive). I purchased a new HD and loaded Windows7 (new drive), again with only one partition. My question is: can I put my old drive back into the second drive bay and use DualBootPro to boot into the old XP drive should I need to use it from time to time? Is there a specific procedure that outlines the required steps? Thanks!

Sounds to me like you unplugged your XP drive when you installed W7 when if you would have left the XP drive in and active when you installed W7 onto the new drive it would have picked up the legasy OS and created a dual boot menu for you.
If that is what you did;
You can use this guide to create the dual boot menu (just insert W7 where it says Vista) unplugged-xp-drive-for-vista-setup-can-t-dual-boot-to-xp-t84455.html
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Return to PRO Software