A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Boot Again :)

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Dual Boot Again :)

Postby bobseptic » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:35 pm

I know this has been covered several times but heres my situation:

I am using vista 64 on my main c: drive and i have no other os's there. Before i installed vista i did a norton ghost of my xp which from time to time i put back onto my c: drive.

I use the vista install dvd to restore to my vista complete backup which is on my second hard drive.

How do i go about dual booting ?

1: i have vista 64 complete pc backup on second drive
2: i have northon ghost image of windows xp on my second drive
3: i also have windows xp install cd with my serial

Can i install xp along with my current vista install without doing vista any damage ?

thanks for looking
Abit ip35 pro + e6850 go @3960Mhz, 4 gig pc8500 ballistix, 8800 GTS 512 g92. 150 Gig Raptor for OS, 1*400gig seagate, 1*500 sata 2, 1*200gig sata, 1*300 ide, 2* nec 7170 dvdrw, Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case. 22" Samsung LCD, kicking a** in battlefield 2142. Vista 64 Ultimate SP1.
PRO Level 5

Postby kd1966 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:41 pm

You may be able to get this to work, BUT remember this - when you imaged you XP, the boot.ini tells where the HDD/partition was located, and this USUALLY does not work well if you recover your image to a different partition/HDD (Logically speaking) You may need to re-edit the boot.ini, but that may only allow you to boot into XP (If that)

Let's start off by taking a look at your Disk Mgmt console from Vista (Screenshot needed please)
PRO PLATINUM

Postby bobseptic » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:28 pm

Abit ip35 pro + e6850 go @3960Mhz, 4 gig pc8500 ballistix, 8800 GTS 512 g92. 150 Gig Raptor for OS, 1*400gig seagate, 1*500 sata 2, 1*200gig sata, 1*300 ide, 2* nec 7170 dvdrw, Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case. 22" Samsung LCD, kicking a** in battlefield 2142. Vista 64 Ultimate SP1.
PRO Level 5

Postby kd1966 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:57 pm

Interesting......... so basically you take your XP image and put it where Vista x64 currently is?

The problem, if you've read some recent threads here, is when using imaging and placing the imaged OS in a different "location" (Logically speaking) or partition than where it was during the imaging process, is that when you go to boot the system next time that it will NOT properly boot, as the boot.ini file points to where the OS "WAS" and not where it currently resides. That and now you will have TWO partitions saying they are the "System" drive.

Here's what you can try: Through x64 Vista, recover the image to where you have some room (Possibly that 64GB of unused space on Disk 0), then edit the Boot.ini file on the XP partition to properly point to the XP partition, THEN do a command prompt from Vista and run VistaBootPRO 3.1 and UNINSTALL the Vista bootloader........... then put your XP CD in the drive and reboot to the XP CD Recovery Console; you'll need to pay attention to which OS you log into here, then type the command: fixboot (Once you do this you should 'exit' and reboot back to XP (Hopefully since you've edited the boot.ini to point to the proper XP location this will take to directly to XP)

Now that (HopefullY) you are in XP, and the XP partition should now be the ONLY "System" drive, install and run VistaBootPRO 3.1 and REINSTALL the Vista bootloader.

I know this sounds quite drawn out, but when using premade images and recovering them to different locations, the process to dual booting XP and Vista can be very meticulous
PRO PLATINUM

Return to Windows Boot Problems