A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual-band router?

Dual-band router?

Postby Craigular.B » Thu May 28, 2009 3:19 pm

Hey guys-

I've been thinking about making the switch to a dual-band router (2.4GHz and 5GHz) because our network has 2 n devices and a couple g devices. My question is, would it be worth it, assuming both my n devices are 5GHz capable?

I'm the most bandwidth-intensive person on our home network; my MacBook Pro is one of the n devices (streaming video, BitTorrent, etc.), and my XBox 360 is a g device (didn't feel like stringing 100ft of ethernet cable through my ceiling :roleeyes ).

Currently we have a DIR-625, and I'm pretty sure the n-wireless on that router goes over the 2.4GHz band.

So, if you think it'd be worth it, I was considering either getting a true dual-band router (that could do 2.4GHz and 5GHz at the same time) or getting an n router that can do 5GHz and then getting a cheaper Linksys g router, flashing it with DD-WRT, and use it as a b/g wireless access point with a different SSID (hardwire it to the n router), kind of like this guide on Engadget. Any suggestions?

-Craig
PRO Level 3

Re: Dual-band router?

Postby mnemonicj » Thu May 28, 2009 4:34 pm

I think the Linksys with DD-WRT is a good way to go. I would like to dual-band too because I think it is the way to get the fastest speeds without interference from microwaves, cordless phone systems, Bluetooth, and neighboring Wifi.

Dual band is also better for mixed wireless networks because you can use the 2.4GHz band for 802.11g devices and the 5GHz band for 802.11n devices and they won't slow each other down.

I have video streaming from my server to my home theater PC and 802.11g can handle it much of the time, as long as no one else is using the wireless network. It would be nice to be able to transfer files over my network 5X faster though (I get about 20Mbps on 802.11b and you are supposed to get at least 100Mbps on 802.11n).
PRO Level 15

Return to General Tech Chat