A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

download without forefront

download without forefront

Postby ChristianM » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:35 am

hi, can anyone tell me how can i download files without using or hacking microsoft forefront? because my company uses that crap and i have to download everything throught that, thanks.
PRO Level 2

Re: download without forefront

Postby JabbaPapa » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:54 am

ChristianM wrote:hi, can anyone tell me how can i download files without using or hacking microsoft forefront? because my company uses that crap and i have to download everything throught that, thanks.

I'm sorry to hear that the company you work for has opted for such a top heavy method of ensuring computer security.

As far as I know, Forefront operates at a fairly low level in computers where it is installed, so that it may be quite difficult to work around it -- depending on which of its security features are turned on and off. Also, a lot would depend on the structure of the company computers and network.

If the work station that you are using is basically a simple client machine that you use for server access, with everything important in the system being managed at the server level, then there is not much that you can do to change things ; if however the work station is part of a more flexible structure of satellite machines interacting with each other, with the main server, and with external networks than you can possibly envisage one of two solutions :

1) you can inform your network and/or IT manager that you are feeling professionally restricted by limitations to your downloading capabilities, and ask them to change your permissions accordingly

2) if your computer is clearly designed in purpose for more independent operations than the security structures would allow, then you could perhaps consider trying to install a download manager -- however, you should be STRONGLY aware that should you then proceed to download content which subsequently acted maliciously in the larger network, then you would personally be responsible for any subsequent security problems created. So in my opinion, you should refrain from attempting this *unless* your work station is almost completely independent from the company network. Also, there is absolutely no guarantee that download manager software will be able to bypass Forefront, depending on how Forefront has been configured for your work station and user profile

And just to be clear, you are unlikely to discover information on how to hack Forefront here at PROnetworks.

---

Honestly, if the restrictions of Forefront are affecting your ability to work, you should just see your network and/or IT manager and complain about it. If you need the downloading capabilities for entirely non-professional reasons, then you should either use your own computer for those purposes, or you should exercise the proper level of caution : if your work station is strongly connected into the company network then you should talk to your manager, if it is almost completely independent then a workaround may be desirable.

The most important thing is that you do nothing that can adversely affect the security of your company's databases, network, and overall IT environment.
PRO VETERAN

Postby Nativedude » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:11 am

Very well put Julian
Sometimes the IT guys might not realize that the network is too secure and preventing the users from doing what they're supposed to be doing
The best option is always to talk to them, circumventing those measures is only going to make them tighten the network even more
PRO Level 15

Postby NT50 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:57 pm

WE use Forefront at school and so far I ahve had no issues with it. It is a fairly good program, the only restriction I see that it may put on downlaoded files is if the file contains something you don't need.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Return to General Tech Chat