A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Download Ubuntu 9.04

Download Ubuntu 9.04

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:34 pm

Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop (the latest version): Includes the latest enhancements and is maintained until 2010

Download

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Re: Download Ubuntu 9.04

Postby gries818 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:53 pm

I just did a Network update last night from my Mac on my server using ssh and I have to tell you, I didn't think it would work... but it did. Ubuntu is really becoming a slick OS. You have to give them credit for having such a quick release time - it's only been six months since the last one.

I haven't had the chance to use the new Desktop version yet, but I'm sure it is as slick as the Server version.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby augie » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:54 pm

I'm grabbing it right now and will load it on my X2 and see what's up. I've actually gotten to like Ubuntu over the past several months though I still need a lot of hand holding with the terminal. I'm running 8.04 ATM and if this one folds anywhere near as fast as 8.04 then I'll keep it. :yesnod:
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby imnuts » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:02 pm

gries818 wrote:I just did a Network update last night from my Mac on my server using ssh and I have to tell you, I didn't think it would work... but it did. Ubuntu is really becoming a slick OS. You have to give them credit for having such a quick release time - it's only been six months since the last one.

I haven't had the chance to use the new Desktop version yet, but I'm sure it is as slick as the Server version.

Linux in general has a faster turn around time because the distributions just bring together various other software packages developed seperately. The big difference between them all is the default configuration, desktop environment, package manager, and then custom "hacks" to improve security and/or usability. Since they bring together different software packages rather than doing everything in-house (like Windows and OS X), it helps to shorten the release time as you basically need to figure out which version of the software is going to be packaged and then work on configuring it as needed and customizing it, which is likely the hard part.
PRO SUPREME

Postby augie » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:37 pm

One thing that continues to surprise me to no end about Ubuntu and other *nix is it can still fit on one CD! :shocked: In this day and age of software bloat it is still lean and trim.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby gries818 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:04 pm

augie wrote:One thing that continues to surprise me to no end about Ubuntu and other *nix is it can still fit on one CD! :shocked: In this day and age of software bloat it is still lean and trim.

True, but in my experience Linux, unlike Windows and OS X, more often requires an internet connection to be able to get needed packages to make the system work correctly. I can't tell you how many times I've needed to move over .deb or .rpm files via flash drive just to get elements of my hardware working to connect to the internet. I used to need to download special drivers for my monitor as well, but that's gotten better as Ubuntu and other Linux distributions have matured.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Software Development

Postby imnuts » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:09 pm

They do all fit onto cds still, but most are building bootable DVD images as well now too. The CDs are mainly for installation and they have the minimum stuff needed to install the system with the rest being downloaded as needed. The DVDs contain pretty much everything you'll need for installation though and don't necessarily need to have an internet connection.
PRO SUPREME

Postby yeshuas » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:33 pm

augie wrote:I'm grabbing it right now and will load it on my X2 and see what's up. I've actually gotten to like Ubuntu over the past several months though I still need a lot of hand holding with the terminal. I'm running 8.04 ATM and if this one folds anywhere near as fast as 8.04 then I'll keep it. :yesnod:

I am trying it, and I am not impressed with its folding thus far. It seems like it is taking almost twice as long, and it is not using around 50 % of the CPU even with the affinity set to 2 cores it is only using 25% for some reason.

I may try using all 4 cores for a bit to see if it improves.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby gries818 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:35 pm

imnuts wrote:They do all fit onto cds still, but most are building bootable DVD images as well now too. The CDs are mainly for installation and they have the minimum stuff needed to install the system with the rest being downloaded as needed. The DVDs contain pretty much everything you'll need for installation though and don't necessarily need to have an internet connection.

True, and up until I got my Mac, I never had a DVD burner so I always went the CD route. But the most recent versions (8.10 and 9.04) work with my WiFi card so, I guess I was ok.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Software Development

Postby augie » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:37 pm

yeshuas wrote:
augie wrote:I'm grabbing it right now and will load it on my X2 and see what's up. I've actually gotten to like Ubuntu over the past several months though I still need a lot of hand holding with the terminal. I'm running 8.04 ATM and if this one folds anywhere near as fast as 8.04 then I'll keep it. :yesnod:

I am trying it, and I am not impressed with its folding thus far. It seems like it is taking almost twice as long, and it is not using around 50 % of the CPU even with the affinity set to 2 cores it is only using 25% for some reason.

I may try using all 4 cores for a bit to see if it improves.

OK, it's not ready for primetime folding then. I had the same issue on my X2 with 8.10 Between the two cores, it was only up to %50 at best. Here's a piccie with 8.10 first and 8.04 next:

Sorry, the second pic was from Ubuntu but ya'll get the drift from the chart eh? Anyways, I'll install this just to check it out for a while, I'll lose some PPD but then that's life. Maybe I should get another rig!? :whistle :silly: :devil :rofl:

Community Director

Next

Return to Other Operating Systems