A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Does the Microhoo deal really mean anything?

Does the Microhoo deal really mean anything?

Postby kanaloa » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:37 pm

I saw this posted on another site and thought the guy had a real point. Does this deal even matter? Maybe Google has nothing to fear from Microhoo, but what about Social Networking?

I think the real question is does any of this matter anymore?

Word of mouth has always been the best way to find out the "Best of Breed". Social networking has brought word of mouth out of the stone age and that is where people will go to find out "the best" whatever, they are looking for.

Social networking is in its infancy. As with any paradigm shift, it will take some time for the dust to settle but when it does Google will find itself chasing after the new King of The Hill just as Microsoft is chasing Google today.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Re: Does the Microhoo deal really mean anything?

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:48 am

In practical money terms I think Yahoo blundered by not accepting the original MS offer. In terms of maintaining their identity though they did the right thing. I believe Google is not unaware of the threats they are facing to their business model, and the venturing into services like youtube and search/advertising agreements with MySpace are no doubt aimed at counter measures. I think two things will work in googles favor, the one being continued market growth as global connectivity keeps on growing (even though their share may diminish), and the other being to some extent brand loyalty. Bing has by all indications impacted more on Yahoo than google so far, but with this teaming up of Microhoo that could change.

I wonder if google will go deeper into the content market with things like online retailers other than the likes of eBay which they already own don't they? They must be painfully aware of the total domination of Amazon.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to General Tech Chat