A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Disable searchindexer.exe on XP

Disable searchindexer.exe on XP

Postby laparks_us » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:23 pm

Hello,

Can you provide guidance on how to disable searchindexe.exe on an XP o/s. It is just sucking up cycles and everything grinds to a halt. (Thank you MS).

I did a search across the forums and do not find this topic addressed for an xp environment.

I can remove searchindexer from the Windows Task Manager processes list, but I would like to permanently remove or disable it.

Is there any reason to not delete this service? Can I just remove the searchindexer.exe?

I also searched to the Registry and do not find any 'on/off' switch for searchindexer.

Thanks for your help.
PRO New Member

Re: Disable searchindexer.exe on XP

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:31 pm

Open My Computer, and on each hard drive/partition right click and then select Properties. At the bottom of the properties page you should be able to uncheck "Allow indexing service to index this disk for fast file searching".

Click Apply and OK and then I'd say reboot to make the changes take effect. I hope that's what you're looking for as that will bring about a permanent cancellation of indexing.

I guess you could also stop the service and disable it in Services. Although I don't recommend it, it looks like Remote Procedure Call is the only service that depends on it so if you don't use that, give it a try...you can always re-enable it if you find it causing issues with finding your profile information and with networking.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to General Windows Support