A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Delete DBP / Cleaning MBR after crash

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Delete DBP / Cleaning MBR after crash

Postby HK460 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:07 pm

Hallo,
I had three installations of Win 7, Vista Ultimate and Vista Home on three different hd´s with DBP installed for all systems (Win 7 as default).
After a bluescreen, Win 7 didn´t work, so i reinstalled a backup (Acronis True Image) unfortunately on the hd, where Vista Ultimate was installed.
So I have now two Win 7 an one Vista Installations and.... DualBootPro is totally confused!!
I have there five entries : Win7, Vista and the (old) Vista ultimate plus two "Ramdisk", whatever it is.
I can´t "clean" the entries, because DBP hangs up with an error message, what is very cryptic.
So I intent to deinstall DBP, create an clean MBR and Bootloader by using the Installation CD (bootrec.exe > bootrec /fixmbr > bootrec /fixboot ) and reinstall DBP.
Should it work or what do you propose?
(Sorry for my english !!)
HK460
PRO Level 2

Re: Delete DBP / Cleaning MBR after crash

Postby gries818 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:42 pm

Moved to Windows Boot Problems.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:37 pm

Check whether you have the boot system files of Vista and Windows 7 on the drive partition tagged (System) in Disk Management. You will need to set folder options to Show hidden files and folders AND uncheck Hide protected operating system files to be able to see those files which are the folder Boot and the file bootmgr.

If you have those present on your system then the easiest thing to do is to run a startup repair by booting to your Windows 7 DVD and at the Install now setup screen, select Repair my computer then from the menu that appears select Startup repair. You may have to do that twice.

Uninstalling and reinstalling DBP is not going to help you in anyway as it is merely a tool to edit the BCD (Boot Configuration Data).

If you don't have a Windows 7 or Windows Vista DVD then let us know and post a screenshot of your disk management so that we can see what is going on there.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby HK460 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:49 am

Hallo,
I´ve cleaned my system partition (drive) with the Windows 7 DVD repair utilities (bootrec.exe > bootrec /fixmbr > bootrec /fixboot and bootrec /rebuildbcd). After that DualBootPro worked again.
Thank you for your help.
HK460
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:07 am

Well done HK460 and thanks for letting us know you got that fixed.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems