A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

cyberwar

Postby Mac33 » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:49 pm

Old habits die hard augie. I have never used cut and paste for a URL yet. I keep forgetting to do that. I cut, copy and paste for everything else, but funnily not for that. Memo to myself, i'll need to change my habits.....lol :lol:
PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:53 pm

Mac33 wrote:Old habits die hard augie. I have never used cut and paste for a URL yet. I keep forgetting to do that. I cut, copy and paste for everything else, but funnily not for that. Memo to myself, i'll need to change my habits.....lol :lol:

Wasn't it you that told me that older dogs can learn new tricks? :whistle
Re the typing tutor :whistle :hmmm: :lol:
Community Director

Postby Mac33 » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:56 pm

True , so very true, but the unfortunate thing is older dogs also sometimes forget....lol :lol:
PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:01 pm

Mac33 wrote:True , so very true, but the unfortunate thing is older dogs also sometimes forget....lol :lol:

I agree to the forgetfulness, though I think that we remember the important stuff better. :yesnod:
Community Director

Postby Mac33 » Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:03 pm

I've got to agree there augie. i don't think i've ever forgotten when it's meal time....lol :cool:
PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:07 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Growls and makes noise, doesn't need much memory for that. Enjoy your midnight snack :yesnod:
Community Director

Postby Weaver » Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:09 pm

It AIN'T always Microsoft! Sometimes it in the way that the system is set up...no security in critical areas etc. So even with all the tools available..the end user doesn't enable basic functions in the software(like secure logins) then it's NOT Microsoft fault!! The ability is there...just unused. If you leave your front door unlocked and someone walks in and steals all your stuff...don't blame the lock-maker!!

I both agree and disagree. There is a certain amount of responsibility of the user/administrator associated with maintaining a system. However when your operating system is inherently flawed from a security/stability POV then it is also the responsibility of the designers of the OS. Granted, this could also be the fault of the operator for knowingly implementing a trash OS into an environment that controls vital functions.

I am not trying to say that the Windows platform is trash. I am saying that the Windows platform is trash in a role where security or stability is a must. This is evident by the latest RPC exploit (among others) that have plagued Windows... A single service should not fu*0r (sorry for the l33t speak) the entire OS. This is unacceptable. Ever wonder why Windows viruses are abundant and spread rapidly... that should tell you something (besides that a lot of people use Windows).

Back to my agreement, 75% (wild guess) of the machines on the Internet do not need "to be" on the Internet. By that, I mean they should be firewalled and access to them should be severely limited. "Network Administrators" or "IT" people need to make a decision. Either choose an OS that can handle the bombardment of attacks that occur on the Internet or design a network layout that prevents these machines from being touched in other places outside the services they are offering.

</rant>

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member

Postby Mac33 » Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:15 pm

That's a very good point Weaver, and a very interesting one also. :yesnod:
PROfessional Member

Postby Joni » Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:13 pm

Good afternoon all. Mac, see then is something to be done other than copying long url's by hand and augie thanks but I know how to cc&p. One of the first things I learned but can you start a post here, then leave the site and get your url and return here to post it? Some how I have printed out some instructions from tomcoyote.org/hjt/ where it shows how to do it Cc&p into a forum??? :confused

Weaver, Thanks for post, kind of technical for me but guess Microsoft has a lot of problems from both people not keeping OS up to date and also because Microsoft is wrong in errors at times. Clear as mud, hun? :yesnod:
Don't let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird "butt"

PROfessional Member

Postby Mac33 » Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:28 pm

Joni i'm laughing at your 'clear as mud' comment. I knew you would understand all of that.....lol :lol:
PROfessional Member

PreviousNext

Return to Security & Virus