A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Creating a Windows XP Unattended Installation Disc

Postby EyEBaLL » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:58 am

hello again, just a quick though before i dash off to work......

would it be possible to have a folder created in c: called for example "Programs" and for it to contain any programs i would want to install after xp had finished automatically installing all the other progs.

i think this would be very useful for those programs that you couldnt have automatically install (the ones that require keys) so at least once u have xp installed and ready you know exactly where your programs that you need are.
thanks

EyEBaLL
PRO Level 2

Postby imnuts » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:14 pm

yep, see this page: http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewt ... 983#283983

Link replaced with in-house link by Grav!ty
PRO SUPREME

Postby EyEBaLL » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:57 pm

that is great, thanks ever so much!
so now i have an xp cd wiv sp2, a few programs already installed, and the rest of them sat on the c drive ready to install. brilliant! thanks again, now to edit the registry and change the boot screen!

EyEBaLL
PRO Level 2

Postby ma3574 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:09 pm

ive done it ive made the disk thanks alot. itll come in very handy for installing on all the machines here at my site
>>Mo<<
PRO Level 7

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:34 am

Computerpro2 wrote:ok i have a question is it 0 or 1 that will not prompt you to enter anything or ask wich partition to format.

Code: Select all
[Data]
Autopartition = 0
MsDosInitiated = 0
UnattendedInstall = Yes

Im confused ive been using 1 and it asks me wich partition to format and stuff i want mine to be completely Unattended with no user interaction.

The coding you have above will have setup require you to select the partition and format type (Quick or Full) - which is my personal preference as I always like to use Quick format. True unattended only starts after that selection has been made with that encoding.

Try Autopartition = 1 and MSDosInitiated = 0 - not sure that that will do what you want though

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:47 am

Repartition=No (or =Yes)

If you include this in the [Unattended] section of your Answer File with a =Yes, you will be instructing setup to delete all partitions on the first drive of your system and to reformat the drive :yesnod:

EDIT: You can also try removing - FileSystem=* - from the [Unattended] section of the Answer File

Come to think of it, this is probably the safest thing to try first :yesnod:
Last edited by Grav!ty on Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:51 am

Computerpro2 wrote:ok cool thanks thats all i needed to know

See my EDIT above Bill

PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:48 am

With my OEM copy of Windows XP Pro, because I have installed and activated it so many times - well over 50 times - I can activate once automatically over the internet and then I need to make the phone call. After the phone call, I can activate over the internet again - just once.

So, it figures that even if I am "unattended installing" that time that I need to make the phone call, it will not activate

I don't see a way of avoiding this via the unattended installation :no

PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:53 am

Try this - but if you need to make the phone call as I mentioned above, this is unlikely to work anyway:

Add this to the [Unattended] section of the Answer File:

AutoActivate = Yes
Last edited by Grav!ty on Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:00 am

Computerpro2 wrote: i wish they made a program to add programs without all the extra work of finding the app switches.

There are a few - I'll try and find links for you and then post sometime

Problem I find with them though is that they do not really allow a custom installation disc - it's like you are following and make an unattended disc according to the author of the program's wishes and requirements

Here is one: http://xpcreate.com/index.htm and I cannot for the life of me think of the name of the other popular one right now - if you go through this thread - there are others mentioned by members :yesnod:

PROfessional Member

PreviousNext

Return to Guides