A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Chess Titans on 5270 and Windows XP

Chess Titans on 5270 and Windows XP

Postby The Phoenix » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:11 pm

Anybody got any idea if it is possible to install/copy over the new Vista game Chess Titans so I can play it on my XP PC as well as the laptop I have aside for my beta stuff like Vista.

If not, does anyone know where to get one that is as close as possible to that one that will work on XP.

Thanks
Jamie
ImageImage
PRO Level 15

Postby NoReflex » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:58 pm

From what I know you can't just copy the game because it won't work. Anyway it's illegal to copy it and I haven't heard of a XP version of it.
Perhaps you should try Kasparov Chessmate.
PRO Level 10

Postby Nativedude » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:59 pm

You can copy it to XP but you need a patch for it to work
PRO Level 15

Postby coreyw2000 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:28 pm

There is no patch for the chess game.

Besides, like NoReflex said, it is illegal. It is not currrently possible.
Be nice to nerds.... chances are you will end up working for one

<u><b>Current system</b></u>
ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI
AMD Athlon X2 6000+ o/c'd at 3.2GHz
4GB (2x2GB) OCZ RAM
Integrated Radeon HD 3200 (HDMI out)
500GB SATA/360GB IDE HDD's
32" Sharp 1080p Monitor/TV
Vista RTM/Vista SP2 Beta/7 6801
PROfessional Member

Postby NoReflex » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:08 pm

I think it's illegal because it is a part of the Vista OS so it is copyrighted and I assume you patched it somehow to work under XP. I don't think that having a licence allows you to modify(patch) parts of the Vista OS to port them on ohter OSs, it just allows you to use it.
PRO Level 10

Postby NoReflex » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:58 pm

Patching uxtheme.dll (for example) isn't illegal because you don't patch it to use it in another OS...you just "update" it in order to use 3rd party themes, not to make Windows 98 use XP themes.
PRO Level 10

Postby zlb » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:05 am

Honestly, those of you saying "copying it is illegal" really need to get a grip here. We're talking copying the basic games that come over a private lan, or another part of the same hard drive, and such, for personal use.

I have NEVER heard anyone saying this same sort of rubbish of the basic games that came with previous windows. How mnany of you have run 3.1 or earlier era basic win games?

Ever run 3.x's reversi on xp? Oh no, it's copyrighted too, head to the police station and turn your self in NOW. Give me a break.

Personal, private use is just that. Private. This is most laughable when one poster here said he dual boots so it's the same hard drive and someone still said that's illegal. Wow, gee. Please get your heads out of your asses.

Stop trying to go the microsoft way and tell us we can't do things on our own systems because you just end up sounding like a complete $%#&ing idiot.

This restrictive nature (ahem, DRM) is part of the reason why I will never run vista outside of a virtual machine.
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:58 am

Woah there ... to start with, I really can't see the point of digging up this auncientte threadde of yore...

And can you please try and be a little more polite there ?

Otherwise, YES reverse-engineering your legitimately-obtained copy of Longhorn 5270 IS illegal, not to mention any illegally downloaded copies you may have obtained, AND it is also illegal to continue using the 5270 past the licensing date limit for that build

---

Besides, unlike Vista, Windows XP does not have the DirectX 9 -driven desktop environment that is a basic requirement for Chess Titans, so that it would be impossible to back port in any case --- only in the slightly unlikely event that Microsoft had indeed gone ahead with their one-time "Aero Anywhere" project of a version of WDM and Aero for XP, would such technical feats have been possible.

Forward-porting games from older release versions of Windows to newer, or side-porting from Client versions to Servers, whilst technically being just as illegal, is also just as clearly a game that Microsoft continues to tolerate, non-head-in-@$$-wise ;) :lol: :P --- but reverse-engineering Beta versions of unreleased software from Microsoft is a special case, and invariably leads to cease-and-desist (when not conducted purely in private, of course) ... :yesnod:

---

Apart from all that, Welcome to PROnetworks !!! ... but please remember that we are a friendly and supportive community, and that bad language and ad hominem attacks won't get you very far here ;)
Last edited by JabbaPapa on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
PRO VETERAN

Postby c0ldfyr3 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:00 am

hi there zlb, you do realize this is almost 2 years old.. yes
PRO Level 15

Postby zlb » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:59 pm

Sorry I did not realize how old this thread was - found it via google, not the forum's search which would of shows the last-posted date.

I also did not intend to coem across as rude.

My apologizes.

---

I do feel my main point still stands. I don't feel it as big a deal as you make it out to be.

First off, calling it reverse engineering is wrong. You are not disecting the game's code in a disasembler to clone what the program does.

To get most of these games (other other programs suffering fro mthe same affliction) working you need to use a patch that repairs the (deliberatly) malformed executable file header. That is hardly a capital offense.

extended64.c om/blogs/rafael/archive/2005/10/22/1446.aspx
jonnyw1989.wordpress.c om/2007/01/31/windows-vista-games-for-xp-update
PRO New Member

Next

Return to General Windows Support