A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Cannot acces BCD registry. What is wrong?

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Cannot acces BCD registry. What is wrong?

Postby SneakerXZ » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:49 am

Cannot acces BCD registry. I see when i run Pronet vista tool. What is wrong?
PRO New Member

Postby SneakerXZ » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:52 am

I run it as Administrator.
PRO New Member

Postby gries818 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:55 pm

First have you done what the box says? What OS are you running from - do you have Vista installed?

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby gries818 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:59 pm

If you have deleted the BCD sector then you won't be able to access it.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby SneakerXZ » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:21 pm

Yes i have installed. I am running on Windows Server 2003 R2, Standard Edition.
PRO New Member

Same Problem

Postby pocketdrummer » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:50 pm

I have the same problem... EXTREMELY frustrating.

What is that anyway? Also, does anyone know how to get rid of grub so I can just use this?
PRO New Member

Re: Same Problem

Postby kd1966 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:52 pm

pocketdrummer wrote:I have the same problem... EXTREMELY frustrating.

What is that anyway? Also, does anyone know how to get rid of grub so I can just use this?

Hi pocketdrummer and Welcome to PROnetworks!! Please stop by our Introduction Area so we can welcome you properly.
Also, please make your own individual thread for your issue so there is no confusion. Thanks and enjoy the site! ^*^
PRO PLATINUM

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:59 pm

It is preferable to run the current VistaBootPRO Beta from within Vista :yesnod:
PRO VETERAN

same here with 5456

Postby c00lhorn » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:14 am

I get the same error here using beta 2 of the software and vista 5456.

First of all, using partly your software and some guides I found on the internet, I restored my XP partition to booting using XP only (bootsect /nt52 <driveletter>). But I noticed that the files BCD and BCD.log were in use when I had booted to XP using the Vista bootloader so I couldnt copy or access them. after booting with ntldr and boot.ini (the old XP way) I moved the boot folder and bootmgr file to the vista partition and used bootsect to set the vista boot sector on the vista partition. Everything worked and I booted and all, but I noticed the files were in use again. I gave myself full permission to the boot folder and all its files and the bootmgr file. However, whether launching cmd with admin permissions or launching vista boot pro, I get errors that that the BCD registry can't be acessed. Bcdedit say that the file doesn't exist, but that can't be true because I can see the files in explorer and know that I couldn't boot without them, and also, it says access denied when run in non admin mode.

Ok,whew, now that I've said all that, can you help me figure out what is acessing these files and how to solve the problem?
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:41 am

Hi Coolhorn and welcome to PROnetworks ^*^

The first thing I strongly recommend you do is to uninstall VistaBootPRO Beta 2 and then redownload and install it. We found a bug yesterday that could cause you problems but posted a "refresh" version of Beta 2 that fixes that for now.

Regarding the errors you are getting with bootsect.exe that seems to be as a result of User Account Control. Try disabling that by double clicking your username icon at the top right of your start menu and then selecting change securty settings and uncheck the UAC check box. The system needs to be restarted to bring that into effect.

Also, bootsect.exe is not installed by Vista during setup and to use it effectively one needs to copy it from either the boot folder on your Vista DVD or the Programs>Accessories>PROnetworks>VistaBoot folder if you have VistaBootPRO installed, and paste it into your Windows\system32 folder of either Vista or XP (depending on where you want to use it from).

With bootsect I often find that one needs to run a command at least twice immediatly after each other for the command to take. I don't have a clue why that is.

There are a number of other steps that one can take to reduce the security requirments of Vista and enable easier access to files and settings but I would say first check that the above is done and if that does not help you post back and lets see where we go from there. Hope that helps :)

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to PRO Software